We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Problems with the last five days of itinerary - help?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
447 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Problems with the last five days of itinerary - help?

Hi. The last five days of my itinerary are getting complicated. I probably have to let go of something but don't want to give up until I've asked the experts if there's any way this can work:

We leave Kyoto April 3 and have until our plane departs Narita Airport April 7 at 4:00 p.m.

Right now I have us doing this:

April 3 Depart Kyoto, stop Himeji, Arrive evening in Kinosaki Onsen (2 nights)

April 5 Depart Kinosaki Onsen arrive Iga in afternoon (for Ninja Festival)

April 6 Depart Iga head to Tokyo

April 7 Depart Tokyo.

My questions are: first of all is there a BEST way to get from Iga to Tokyo? I have looked at Hyperdia and it seems that there is no easier way to do this than to transfer a million times. We are open to flying to Tokyo too if this would actually be easier, but as far as I can tell it doesn't seem all that much easier in terms of transfering.

Secondly: Does anyone know of a "midrange to nice" place to stay in Iga or nearby that would be easy to access from the festival? We are a family of four...

Thanks so much with any advice you may have

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,096 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Problems with the last five days of itinerary - help?

Is that Iga is in Igaueno Station in Mie prefecture (as opposed to IGA near Hakata?)

If so, you can do the trip to Tokyo with only 2 transfers (and no Nozomi). I saw a few options along those lines depending on your departure time.

Go to the part of Hyperdia where you can select and deselect various options and change the sort order to transfers. That will give you the trips involving the fewest transfers first in the results.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
24,337 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Problems with the last five days of itinerary - help?

Igaueno in Mie, the birth place of Ninja, is not a very convenient destination. Kinosaki to Igaueno takes nearly 5 hours and at least two transfers. Igaueno to Tokyo is 4 hours with one transfer.

The easiest way from Igaueno to Tokyo is to take the JR Kansai Line to Nagoya and transfer to the Shinkansen. Only slow local trains stop at Igaueno, so if you switch to a rapid train at Kameyama, you might save 20-30 minutes.

Not many hotels in Igaueno:

http://www.uenofrexhotel.co.jp/main.swf

…rakuten.co.jp/portal/my/info_page_e.Eng…

Camas, Washington
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Problems with the last five days of itinerary - help?

you may want to confirm Himeiji is good to visit. i read somewhere recently that it's covered up by tarp due to rennovation, which largely affects the view of the castle...

for train routes, check hyperdia:

www.hyperdia.com

Edited: 5:05 am, April 21, 2010
4. Re: Problems with the last five days of itinerary - help?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, October 19, 2010