We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JR Pass Nara?

Which Nara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
651 posts
1 review
Save Topic
JR Pass Nara?

http://www.jr-odekake.net/navi/naradcpre/

Can anyone please kindly let me know what's the usage of above pass? What else does it include beside going to Nara?

And please kindly let me know what's the best way to go to Nara from Kyoto?

Many thanks for your help!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,541 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JR Pass Nara?

A little over an hour by train on JR Nara Line. Schedules and fares - www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
651 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: JR Pass Nara?

I just did research and seems like taking nonJR line is closer? Please kindly correct me if I am wrong. Many thanks.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,793 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JR Pass Nara?

You can take Kintetsu Nara Line from Kyoto station to Nara for 1,110 Yen. All seats are reserved. This is an expensive way to travel between the two cities.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,793 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JR Pass Nara?

By the way, you can also take the Kintetsu Kyoto Express for 610 Yen. It takes 46 minutes instead of 36 minutes compared to the Kintetsu Limited Express. JR Nara Line takes 47 minutes and cost 690 Yen.

Kintetsu is the better choice overall as it gets you quite a bit closer to Nara Park.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,141 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: JR Pass Nara?

The 1day pass listed in the link you provided is for those coming from the Kobe area to Nara. The way I see it, its price is about half what you'd normally pay when you get to Nara and back.

As for the easier access to places of interest in the central parts of Nara from either railroad station, Kintetsu is a better bet than JR: Deer Park is only one block away from Kintetsu. Limited express trains (500yen surcharge incurred) depart for Nara from Kyoto twice hourly. If you hop on a standard express train, you should choose one bound for Nara, as otherwise you'd end up having to transfer along the way. Not sure when you are coming, but we're now right in the peak for sakura, which is turnng side streets/hills/riverbanks pink almost in everywhere.

6. Re: JR Pass Nara?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, October 07, 2009