We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do Autumn leaves show earlier in Nara than Kyoto?

Which Nara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Do Autumn leaves show earlier in Nara than Kyoto?

Coming to Kyoto late Oct for 5 nights. As we'll miss the Autumn leaves in Kyoto looking for a place to spend one night to see some Autumn leaves. Have booked a night in Takayama 1st Nov though if Nara is earlier than Kyoto this would be easier and cheaper than Takayama. We've used the autumn leaves report in Japan guide to choose Takayama. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
22,872 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do Autumn leaves show earlier in Nara than Kyoto?

I'm sorry to say that the Autumn leaves don't peak earlier in Nara than they do in Kyoto. Takayama is your best bet.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do Autumn leaves show earlier in Nara than Kyoto?

I'd seen a blog with Autumn colours in Nara saying end of Oct. I thought it too good to be true, Takayam it is, thanks for the quick reply,

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,129 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do Autumn leaves show earlier in Nara than Kyoto?

As yet, most of the tree leaves in Nara have not turned even brownish yellow. In Nara and Kyoto the temperature goes hand in hand, meaning Nara is as hot in summer and as cold in winter, and as cool/warm in between. Thermometer stood somewhere around 27 Celcisus during 1-3pm today. Won't change that much this week. The average temperature needs to go farther down to have autumn colors, I gather. Besides, come November, the greater the difference in temperature is between morning and night, the nicer maples leaves will become. Maybe the Japan Alps area: ie, Kamikochi/Shin Hotaka, will be at their peak now, not in anywhere in Nara/Kyoto.

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do Autumn leaves show earlier in Nara than Kyoto?

I will be watching the leaves turn red on Ginkakuji webcam in Kyoto. Some leaves have started turning orange.

shokoku-ji.or.jp/ginkakuji/webcam/full.jpg

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do Autumn leaves show earlier in Nara than Kyoto?

Thanks Amazinga, love the webcam what a great idea would never have found it on my searches. Wylma

6. Re: Do Autumn leaves show earlier in Nara than Kyoto?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, October 09, 2009