We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Report - queues at Himeji (Silver Week)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
855 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Report - queues at Himeji (Silver Week)

Today (Sunday September 20) at 10:00 the queue was back to the Otemon Gate and the wait time was 2.5 hours. Fortunately, I didn't want to go in - I've been inside on a previous trip and just wanted some perfect, blue sky photos. And on my 3rd visit to Himeji, I've finally done it. :)

For those who want to go in, and can't avoid Silver Week, maybe start queuing early?

Mentioned in this post
Himeji
Himeji
Hyogo Prefecture, Japan
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
59,849 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Report - queues at Himeji (Silver Week)

Projected queues at the castle (see calendar):

http://www.himejicastle.jp/

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
74 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Report - queues at Himeji (Silver Week)

We also attend Himeji on Mon 21st Sep 9am with a 4 hour queue at that time!

Mentioned in this post
Himeji
Himeji
Hyogo Prefecture, Japan
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Report - queues at Himeji (Silver Week)

I will be visiting on 23/11 (yes, very bad timing on a Japanese holiday, but it can't be helped) and plan to get to the castle to queue at 0800, and the castle opens on that day at 0830. What are the chances of me being able to get in immediately and be done by 0930? Or am I too optimistic?

The way things are working out, I'd rather be done quickly with the castle (from what I read so far, the inside isn't particularly impressive) and spend the extra hour at the Earthquake Museum in Kobe.

Mentioned in this post
Kobe
Kobe
Hyogo Prefecture, Japan
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
59,849 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Report - queues at Himeji (Silver Week)

If you manage to get there 30 minutes before opening, I suspect you should be fine wihtout much of a wait.

Don't forget the beside the actual interior of the castle (mostly about architecture and castle hardware), the Western building has an interesting story of Princess Sen. Next door, Koko-en is decent enough as a garden offering a variety of scenes. If you visit all 3, allow 1/2 day at Himeji.

Mentioned in this post
Himeji
Himeji
Hyogo Prefecture, Japan
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Report - queues at Himeji (Silver Week)

Thanks Sammyfloyd. We'll be doing a bunch of gardens and temples/shrines in Kyoto already, so I think we'll already be "gardened-out" and will just focus on the Himeji castle. I also plan to try going to Engyoji and Mt Shosan the afternoon before if the autumn colours are good...or do you think we'll be able to get into Himeji castle without a queue if we arrive at 1545? It sounds like they'd already have run out of tickets.

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Himeji Castle
Himeji Castle
4,410 Reviews
Himeji, Japan
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
59,849 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Report - queues at Himeji (Silver Week)

If Himeji Castle is a priority, go early in the morning.

Mentioned in this post
Himeji Castle
Himeji Castle
4,410 Reviews
Himeji, Japan
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Report - queues at Himeji (Silver Week)

Sorry, I should've clarified. The afternoon would be from the day before.

8. Re: Report - queues at Himeji (Silver Week)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, October 17, 2016