We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day to cover Shibuya, Harajuku and Shinjuku

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
123 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
One day to cover Shibuya, Harajuku and Shinjuku

I am travelling with my husband and 2 kids aged 6 and 8. We are staying at Odaiba so won't be venturing out on the subway until after peak hour. This means we may not get to Shibuya until around 1030am. We probably want to head back to Odaiba by 4pm to avoid peak hour on trains so we will need to leave the Shinjuku area by 3pm. Given we have limited time, how should I plan the day? Should I start at Shibuya or Shinjuku? What are the must-sees? I am guessing the Tokyo metropolitan building, shopping strip near Harajuku and Shibuya crossing. I presume we won't be able to walk the whole distance and will catch the subway in between the stations? Your help is appreciated.

Asia
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: One day to cover Shibuya, Harajuku and Shinjuku

You can still walk around those areas in the evening, if the children are not too tired. Don't have to limit yourselves to 5 hours.

NYC Metro
Level Contributor
128 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day to cover Shibuya, Harajuku and Shinjuku

That's not a lot of time to do those three areas, so try to stay later if you (or your kids) can be out that long. So much to see and do in all three so it would be a shame to be rushed.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
465 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day to cover Shibuya, Harajuku and Shinjuku

Why you need to rush back to Odaiba that early? Unless you have something to do there at night you can just stay around the Shinjuku-Shibuya area until late.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
123 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day to cover Shibuya, Harajuku and Shinjuku

True. I just thought the kids might get tired and I didn't want to get caught in peak hour. Which direction should I travel? Shinjuku to shibuya or vice versa? Any suggestions for a place to rest with kids amidst shopping?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day to cover Shibuya, Harajuku and Shinjuku

Odaiba is actually connected to Shibuya and Shinjuku by Rinkai Line-Saikyo Line through service train. The Rinkai Line section won't be crowded in the morning or evening (or practically any time).

There aren't really must-sees as such, but I'd suggest:

-Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building Observatory (a queue waiting for the elevator could be tiring though)

-Shinjuku Gyoen (particularly recommended on a fine day; no alcohol are allowed but you can bring in food and drinks for picnic on the nice green lawn).

-Shinjuku Sanchome shopping area around between JR Station and Isetan department store plus Shinjuku Takashimaya department store

-Harajuku and Omotesando shopping street. Meiji Shrine is not particularly interesting, but it is not bad either.

-Ota Memorial Museum, a small museum dedicated to historic Ukiyo-e prints (which might be boring for kids but perhaps they'd remember later when they become adults)

-Shopping in Shibuya, particularly go to Tokyu Hands and Loft.

Edited: 10:31 pm, April 08, 2016
6. Re: One day to cover Shibuya, Harajuku and Shinjuku

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 10, 2017