We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What can I expect to pay for meals in Tokyo?

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
20 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
What can I expect to pay for meals in Tokyo?

Hello,

I am planning a trip to Tokyo, Japan in 2007.

We are flying in from NYC and spending 6 nights there.

How much are meals at average establishments there?

How much did you spend on your trip there and what are some suggestions you might make? We are going to be staying right in the down town, and I am curious as to how much I should expect to spend.

Thank You.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,861 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What can I expect to pay for meals in Tokyo?

from $3.25 beef rice or noodle soup and up. For Japanese type food, full course set menu between $15 - 40.

"Downtown" can have vastly different prices depending on which downtown, so to speak. But for establishments meant for office workers, their prices are similar all over.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What can I expect to pay for meals in Tokyo?

What are you expecting to eat? If you're on a budget, then you can eat Japanese diner food and eat quite well for under US$20/day. Add accordingly for alcohol, ambience, western-style food, etc.

New York
Level Contributor
243 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What can I expect to pay for meals in Tokyo?

My husband and I just returned from a fabulous 2 week trip to Japan with over a week in Tokyo. We like to eat and I'd say on average we spent $100-$150 each day assuming an exchange rate of about Y116 per US$1. The food in Japan is incredibly delicious and varied. We thoroughly enjoyed it even though we always went for casual, inexpensive places to eat. Here's a sample day:

Y1,000 b'fast for two purchased the night before from a nearby convenience store (AM/PM market or Sunkus chain) and kept cold in our mini bar fridge might include yogurt, danish and hard boiled egg.

Y3,000-Y4,500 lunch for two might be a fabulous train station bento box (which I still crave) plus bottled water or tea and a sweet; or phenomenal sashimi lunch at a Tsukiji Fish Market eatery; or noodles w/ meat or grilled fish and vegetables; or curry rice at a casual restaurant.

Y7,500 dinner for two might be soba noodles w/ shrimp and vegetable tempura plus a drink each and a shared dessert; Italian pasta one night which was surprisingly good; or fried skewered meats and shrimp. We also splurged a few times...had shabu shabu one night which cost us about Y12,000.

The food is so good. Enjoy!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What can I expect to pay for meals in Tokyo?

This sounds tacky I know. When we were in Japan we actually bought many meals from the corner convenience stores. We would tour most of the day and tend to have a larger lunch at ordinary establishments. On the way home after getting out of the train we'd go and choose something from a convenience store. They heat the food up for you and give you chopsticks. The food was delicious. Really cheap too so don't worry at all about the cost of food in Japan.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,185 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What can I expect to pay for meals in Tokyo?

This is just a general feeling of prices and of course, can be more or less depending on the establishment and the actual items you decide to get:

Bottle cold drinks: 100-150Y at Convenience Store (Kirin Royal Milk Tea is my favorite!)

Ramen: 800Y-1,200Y per person

Soba/Udon lunch sets: 1500Y

Beef sets at nice places: 3,000Y lunch, 5,000Y-10,000Y dinner for good Japanese beef

Sushi set at Tsukiji Market: 3000Y

Burgers (McDonald's, MOS Burger): 400-600Y per burger

6. Re: What can I expect to pay for meals in Tokyo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, August 26, 2009