We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt Fuji/Hakone - Self or guided tour is best?

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
123 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Mt Fuji/Hakone - Self or guided tour is best?

I'm travelling to Tokyo this mid-Dec with a party of 4 adults and 2 young children ages 3 and 6. How convenient and economical is it to make a day trip out to Hakone/Mt Fuji on our own? Is it better to just take a guided package tour that includes a short bullet-train ride?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
324 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt Fuji/Hakone - Self or guided tour is best?

Have not been, but traveled extensively with kids and currently going to Tokyo in Dec, with 10 and 13 year old. While I never suggest a tour just because you are locked in, it might be a good idea. Travelling with strollers, etc. I looked into renting a car outside of the city and drving, but if my information was correct, many of the street signs arent in english once you leave the city. Maybe someone can make suggestion on renting a car; you need an international drivers license which are simple to get in the US.

2. Re: Mt Fuji/Hakone - Self or guided tour is best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, August 21, 2009