We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tokyo Hotels

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Tokyo Hotels

I'm coming to Tokyo late at night and traveling by train to a different work site (Yokohama, Chiba, Gotemba, Meiwa) each day. Can anyone please suggest a nice hotel that would be convenient. I thought about the Marunouchi as it is near the main JR station but some of the reviews don't sound too promising. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tokyo Hotels

What did you hear questionable about the Marunouchi Hotel? It's very new, steller service and fantastic location. Considering your itinerary, the Marunouchi would be very optimal.

USA
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tokyo Hotels

There is a review posted from 8 September that is not very complimentary. The hotel was recommended to me by a colleague.

I would love to stay at the Four Seasons Marunouchi but I believe it is a bit out of my budget!

One day I will be working in Gotemba. Do you suggest that I return

to Tokyo before going to Meiwa the following day or do you think it would be better to drag all my suitcases/work gear and go to Meiwa directly from Gotemba? After Meiwa I am going to Yamaguchi-ken, overnighting in Osaka to catch the train the next morning.

Will I have a problem getting around on the trains with my suitcases?

Thank you for all your advice and information. It is kind for you to help so many people.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tokyo Hotels

You'll be exhausted just traveling back and forth.

Stay at a hotel wherever you're working for the day, then move on to the next location the next day. (Or move after work to the next location.) You'll be able to sleep in a bit longer and might enjoy walking around the local neighborhood.

You could be spending 2 hours one way, or even longer, to get from Chiba to Gotemba!

Japan only looks small on a map.

FYI, jet lag will hit. You'll be up at 3:30 am and will be asleep at 8 pm -- usually, it lasts a week.

Good luck.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tokyo Hotels

I'm not sure if it's advisable to move hotels to accomodate working in Yokohama, Chiba, Gotemba and Meiwa. None of these places are that far from Tokyo, especially, if you're starting right from Tokyo Station as the base. Moving from Yokohama to Chiba, Gotemba and Meiwa is far more tiring and just staying in one place. Transporting luggage, no matter how small is also a hassle.

I would definitely not recommend staying in Yokohama AND Chiba. For one, the hotels in Chiba are inferior to those in Tokyo and Yokohama.

Jetlag from Arizona to Japan is not all that difficult, it's akin to staying up late and sleeping in to make up for it. Going the other way is extremely challenging.

I'm not saying you're wrong about this. It's all a matter of personal preference. I just don't like moving hotels, especially when I'm travelling on business.

<<<You'll be exhausted just traveling back and forth.

Stay at a hotel wherever you're working for the day, then move on to the next location the next day. (Or move after work to the next location.) You'll be able to sleep in a bit longer and might enjoy walking around the local neighborhood.

You could be spending 2 hours one way, or even longer, to get from Chiba to Gotemba!

Japan only looks small on a map.

FYI, jet lag will hit. You'll be up at 3:30 am and will be asleep at 8 pm -- usually, it lasts a week. >>>

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tokyo Hotels

I read the review. It almost sounds like a troll. It's criticizing the hotel for things that really don't matter. For instance, complaining about price, room service and the meager breakfast offerings, and this guy is a business traveller on an expense account. Nowhere, did I see complaints about cleanliness, location or comfort. I think this guy had a thing about paying Japanese-sized prices for things at a top tier hotel and decided to take it out on what he perceived as a bad experience. That's fine because everyone is entitled to an opinion but if you look at all of the other reviews, the hotel comes out rated quite nicely. Do not be swayed by one out of many reviews that sounds like a anomoly more than anything else. Stay at the Marunouchi and don't worry about it, assuming you're not rigid and you don't have unrealistic expectations. The location is key, it's really a convenient place to stay.

Regarding Gotemba and Meiwa, I believe those are are two different directions from Tokyo Station, right? I don't quite remember where Meiwa is but I think it's on the Tobu line if I remember correctly which puts it northeast of Gotemba.

How much luggage are you carrying? You will have issues because of stairs and distances to walk if you have a lot of luggage. Even from the Marunouchi Hotel to Tokyo Station can be a burden and it's right across the way from the station. You might ask the hotel to ship your luggage ahead and it will be waiting for you at the hotel the next day. That's the easiest way to take care of that problem.

<<<There is a review posted from 8 September that is not very complimentary. The hotel was recommended to me by a colleague.

I would love to stay at the Four Seasons Marunouchi but I believe it is a bit out of my budget!

One day I will be working in Gotemba. Do you suggest that I return

to Tokyo before going to Meiwa the following day or do you think it would be better to drag all my suitcases/work gear and go to Meiwa directly from Gotemba? After Meiwa I am going to Yamaguchi-ken, overnighting in Osaka to catch the train the next morning.

Will I have a problem getting around on the trains with my suitcases?

Thank you for all your advice and information. It is kind for you to help so many people.>>>

USA
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tokyo Hotels

Thank you for your excellent advice. The only reason I was a little worried was that the other reviews were quite a bit older. My travel requirements are pretty simple...a hard bed, a hot shower and no bugs.. (and no partying construction workers or honeymoon couples) The US could take lessons from Asia on good beds! Jet lag is not an issue for me.

I am also in the same boat as you. I would rather spend time on the train instead of having to drag my work gear/luggage each day. I long for the days when I didn't have 30 kilos of gear to lug around!

Gotemba is one transfer from the Tokaido line to the Gotemba line, just short of 3 hours each way for the whole trip.

My directions to Meiwa say to take the train to Nozomi then to Matusaka and then to take the Kintetu line to Saiku. It is either 5 hours/4 transfers from Gotemba or 4 hours/two transfers coming from Tokyo. I will have all my heavy stuff with me. I appreciate your advice to ship my luggage. What do you suggest as my best plan?

After Meiwa I will be heading to Simonoseki with an overnight in Osaka on the way. If you have a suggestion for a hotel near Shin Osaka station for me I will try to have one bag sent there but keep my other one with me.

I have totally NOT figured out the train thing yet but hope to get it figured out before I get to Japan. That will be another series of questions!

Thank you again for all your excellent advice

Tokyo
Level Contributor
476 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tokyo Hotels

I don't think that price, room service etc are things that don't matter, even if it is on a business trip. I think Route 246 you are being a little harsh?

The reviewer sounds like he has been to Tokyo before based on the suggestions of where to stay so is probably a little disappointed in comparison.

I don't think it is acceptable for any hotel, regardless of class to be anything other than scrupulously clean so I am not surprised that he wasn't impressed by and reported on cleanliness!

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tokyo Hotels

It really sounded like a troll (someone with an agenda or working for a competitor) to me. Read this from his review:

"""I stayed at the hotel for 2 weeks in August 2006. It is across the road from the Tokyo Railway Station and it is clean and 'chic'. However, it is ridiculously over priced, the food is a ridiculous brand of French mini meals at astronomical prices, drinks are unbelievably expensive and room service is a joke in terms of quality and choice. The breakfast menu is tiny and poor quality (I have eaten better quality food in a US$15 per night B&B). There is no pool or gym. The rooms are small and the staff are slow and unresponsive."""

It sounds like this is the first visit to Japan. The criticism is all focused on price and value and a service level that did not meet the price point. Comparing a Japanese breakfast menu to a US one is the dead giveaway that this person was new to Japan. That's just a silly comparison. What does, "a ridiculous brand of French mini meals at astronomical prices" mean? I think this guy expected western style portions from a Japanese hotel.

<<<I don't think that price, room service etc are things that don't matter, even if it is on a business trip. I think Route 246 you are being a little harsh?

The reviewer sounds like he has been to Tokyo before based on the suggestions of where to stay so is probably a little disappointed in comparison.>>>

Read again, he did report it to be "clean and chic" so I don't think he had complaints about being not clean. His primary focus was that it was overpriced, the food portions were small and not worth it and that the staff was slow and unresponsive. But, he did not complain about the service itself, just the response time.

<<<I don't think it is acceptable for any hotel, regardless of class to be anything other than scrupulously clean so I am not surprised that he wasn't impressed by and reported on cleanliness!>>>

My point was, don't let one sour review take down all of the other stellar reviews.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tokyo Hotels

One more thing, I've stayed at this hotel, very recently, too. I can fully understand how someone might feel this way if they came in with certain expectations, especially if price sensitive. In my opinion the service is very good but you don't have someone at your beck and call when you snap your fingers the way you do at the Four Seasons or Park Hyatt, I can attest to that. The service at the Four Seasons is sick (that means outrageously fantastic) as is the Okura and Park Hyatt. There are people standing around just waiting for someone to look at them and wave them over and they will do anything you need right then and there.

Tokyo
Level Contributor
476 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Tokyo Hotels

Even if it is a first trip, I think when staying at a supposedly top class western style hotel, you are entitled to attribute western expectations to it. I think you do Japan a disservice by suggesting, if that is what you are doing, that when you stay somewhere like this, you should leave all expectations at the door and lie down for a good rip off. This is in part why many western style hotels run by Japanese chains are so bad, because no one complains.

When I have stayed at Tokyo hotels (Okura for instance), I have never had complaints about portion sizes or quality so perhaps things are different here (although the breadth of the room service menu at the Okura leaves a lot to be desired)?

Some people are always going to be more fastidious about certain things than others, it is a stretch to claim they have agendas. I also seriously doubt that someone from the Palace Hotel just down the road logged on to Tripadvisor to rubbish the Marunouchi!