We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shinjuku or Iidabashi as a base

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Shinjuku or Iidabashi as a base

TLDR Version :- Iidabashi or Shinjuku as base for Tokyo adventure :)

Looking for some advice. We are a family visiting Tokyo 2 adults + 11yr old and 4yr old. We have two hotels currently reserved 1 in Iidabashi and 1 in Shinjuku and looking for advice as to which is best as a base for our travels.

Both hotels are similar in quality, we have stayed in iidabashi before and found it well connected but reasonably quiet. Obviously aware that Shinjuku in the largest train station in the world so concerned using it as a base for trains\subway would be stressful and massively congested (particularly with small one). Any advice on this appreciated - also any pro's of being based out of Shinjuku as opposed to Iidabashi would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,201 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shinjuku or Iidabashi as a base

It can depend on where in Iidabashi and Shinjuku. If the hotel is near Shinjuku Station, fine enough. Shinjuku Station is busy but quite organized; if you are careful enough to follow the signs you won't have problem; if you don't see signs and follow your instincts then you should have problems.

The big pro for Shinjuku is that you have departing point for places like Kawaguchiko, Hakone, Kamakura, and Nikko (for hours see Hyperdia) in your proximity. If your hotel is far from Shinjuku Station, then it might be better to stay at Iidabashi or elsewhere (Yotsuya is quiet and less stressful although 4 stations by JR Chuo-Sobu Local Line; 1 station by JR Chuo Rapid Line from Shinjuku).

Another pro is that you have largest commercial area and nightlife entertainment within walking distance, but this might not be too important for you with a family.

If you plan to go to Tokyo Disneyland during your stay, the bus for the place departs from the temporary bus station nearer to Yoyogi Station and Kinokuniya Bookstore at the southern area of Shinjuku.

Cary
Level Contributor
743 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shinjuku or Iidabashi as a base

I completely agree with Yobeekool, Shinjuku will allow you to easily get to most places and the station while very very big, is certainly manageable after going through it a few times. By the 3rd day or so, even your kids will know where to go! :-)

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shinjuku or Iidabashi as a base

Thanks both. I guess my worries came from watching a TV programme a couple of weeks ago called the busiest train station in the world and it looked extremely busy at peak times. I just wasn't sure how sensationalist the show was.

The two hotels we have booked are the Hilton in Shinjuku and the Metropolitan Edmont in Iidabashi. I think we will have more space at the Hilton as its a junior suite and when we originally booked the Hilton it was with thoughts of plenty of places to eat nearby.

Cary
Level Contributor
743 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shinjuku or Iidabashi as a base

Haha, I see! Well, it will certainly be busy, especially during rush hour, but if you think about it, to get to most places you would want to go, you will be changing at one of the large stations at some point anyway. It's really not that bad, most of the time! :-)

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shinjuku or Iidabashi as a base

Just another thought Tokyo Disney isn't a worry for us as we are staying 3 nights in the Tokyo Bay area prior to moving to the city in order to explore Tokyo Disney.

Cary
Level Contributor
743 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shinjuku or Iidabashi as a base

I would still prefer and recommend Shinjuku. Not that there is anything wrong with Iidabashi. If you stayed there, I'm sure you would be happy as well, but again, it's hard to avoid the busy stations anyway as they are busy for a reason!

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shinjuku or Iidabashi as a base

Thanks for the response - it's much appreciated and has given us some ideas. I think the Hilton Tokyo Bay do a luggage transfer service to the Hilton Shinjuku so that would certainly make life a bit easier.

One more question - it is my birthday on our last night in Tokyo - any ideas for somewhere to go for a special birthday meal that is also fairly child friendly (I know it's a contradiction!) As a family we will eat most types of food but somewhere typically Japanese would be good.

Cary
Level Contributor
743 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shinjuku or Iidabashi as a base

Sure!

Just FYI, you can do a luggage transfer from just about any hotel to another hotel in Japan. It's called Takyubin or Takuhaibin. I use it often when I'm traveling in Japan, it's a lifesaver:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html

So if you are going someplace, you can still do this.

In regards to food.... There are so so so so so many great restaurants in Tokyo, sometimes it's hard to pick. I could certainly tell you my favorite places, but no idea what your or dietary needs might be. I recommend searching a little on benton.com, either by cuisine or by neighborhood and you will surely find some great places to choose from: http://bento.com/tf-rest.html

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shinjuku or Iidabashi as a base

Thank you so much - you have been extremely helpful.

Cary
Level Contributor
743 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shinjuku or Iidabashi as a base

My pleasure! You know where you find me if you have more questions. :-)