We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mifi Dongle

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Mifi Dongle

Hi,

I'm planning to go to Japan for two weeks (also visiting Osaka for a few days). I'm starting to travel more and was wondering what type of MiFi dongle works in Japan. I was looking at preferably 4G.

I understand that you can rent one before you arrive but with my own MiFi dongle I can then just rent a data sim in each country.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,560 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mifi Dongle

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294232-c177294/Japan…

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,569 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mifi Dongle

Above link answers absolutely nothing.

Dongles purchased outside of the country you intend to use are prone to firmware issues, even though the specs say they are compatible. Please have a back up plan, or look for experience of others who have used the exact same model purchased in the same geographic region.

Not to mention Japan and UK have slight different LTE bands.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mifi Dongle

Hi,

I understand you would like to rent a data sim card, right? So your mifi must be support UMTS 1700 / LTE 1800 or UMTS 2100 / UMTS 800 / UMTS 1700 / LTE 2100 / LTE 1500 / LTE 800.

Kyoto, Japan
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mifi Dongle

Woops, I used to write that LTE systems are not compatible world -wide. I did not even know Europe and Britain already have compatible LTE systems. Dave linked TA page is definitely my eye opener.

Three companies; So-net, OCN-Mobile one and bmobile are leasing and even sell Sim for NTT Docomo LTE, which frequency allocation is Band 1(2100MHz), Band 19 (800MHz), Band 21 (1500MHz), and Band 3 (1800MHz, limited to the Toumeihan area). I am not sure if you people have what exactly the system compatible since information is limited. I have located that European and British system has 800MHz spectrum with compatible technology. However, I do not know if your dongle is enclosed in the following bmobile list.

http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/devices.html

Many of them seems phones with LTE data. So-Net, used to be a Sony company indicate that the following hardware wound not work:

BlackBerry, Taiwan HTC and HTC butterfly, and HTC One, Hong Kong HTC, and HTC butterfly, and HTC One.

So this is not straight forward. Have a good luck.

5. Re: Mifi Dongle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 24, 2015