We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suica card per person or can be shared for whole family?

texas
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Topic
suica card per person or can be shared for whole family?

Our family of 3 adults is planning to purchase suica card while in Japan. Do we need 3 suica cards (1 for each of us) or can we use the same suica card for all of us? Can we just swipe the same card 3 times while going thru the gate?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: suica card per person or can be shared for whole family?

You need 3 cards.

tokyo
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suica card per person or can be shared for whole family?

Every individual needs their own cards to use train.

Scanning the card three times to allow three people, or giving the card back so three people could use it would not work because of the design of the system.

The only time I've seen it work is on fixed fare buses, where you pay as you get on, in that case one person could pay for other's, but in the case of the major train lines, you need an individual card for each person.

Edited: 10:38 am, May 09, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,731 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: suica card per person or can be shared for whole family?

Suica/Pasmo scans when you get on, then scans to calculate your fare when you get off. If you chose to purchase tickets at the vending machine with one Suica card, it's possible to get by with one card. But that defeats the purpose of having a Suica card! (And it's more expensive to purchase tickets on the vending machine.)

One per person. Children, too.

Happy traveling!

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
308 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: suica card per person or can be shared for whole family?

It's more expensive to purchase at the machines? So if I buy a 210Y ticket from the machine had I a Suica card it would be less?

I always get the Suica/Nex package when I come in and it decrements the same amount off the card as it would from buying from the machine. Is this because it is a tourist Suica. had never heard of this.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: suica card per person or can be shared for whole family?

PDF https://www.google.co.kr/url…

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49,789 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suica card per person or can be shared for whole family?

FYI - Suica-NEX has been discontinued.

Replaced with - https:/…nex_oneway.html

tokyo
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: suica card per person or can be shared for whole family?

>>It's more expensive to purchase at the machines? So if I buy a 210Y ticket from the machine had I a Suica card it would be less?<<

Ever since the consumption tax increase last month, yes.

For example, Shinjuku to Tokyo station is 200 yen by paper ticket from the machine, if you use an IC card, it comes out to 194 yen. This only applies if you are using the card itself for the ride, rather than using the card to buy a paper ticket.

Edited: 1:36 pm, May 09, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,731 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: suica card per person or can be shared for whole family?

The consumption tax went from 5% to 8% as of April 1. Using a Suica card is now cheaper if you swipe it to go through the wicket rather than purchasing a paper ticket.

Not sure about LONG distances, i.e. Shinkansen. You'll need to ask at the window / human teller at JR's Midori no Madoguchi (ticketing office).

Yokohama
Level Contributor
922 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: suica card per person or can be shared for whole family?

>> Not sure about LONG distances

unfortunately, SUICA can't use LONG distances travel. more properly, SUICA and other IC card can't use across different area, ie. within Kanto area is OK. within Kansai area is OK, travel from Kanto to Tokai can't use.

texas
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: suica card per person or can be shared for whole family?

Thanks everyone for the info. Can I use suica card in Kyoto and also for the train from Kyoto to. Nara??