We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baseball - Tokyo Giants

London, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Baseball - Tokyo Giants

HI all,

I will be visiting Tokyo in May and was wondering whether it would be best to see the Giants vs Swallows, or the Giants vs Carp? I don't mind about the Baseball so much as I have never seen baseball played, but which will have the most atmosphere? Are one team considered more of a rival than the other??

Also if anyone could give me advice on the ticket prices that would also help ie, Are cheapest tickets so far away you can't see anything and would it be better to pay a bit extra, or is the stadium not big enough that it would make much difference??

thanks

Tokyo
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Baseball - Tokyo Giants

May, it is a rainy season in Japan. Giants has Tokyo Dome-coverd by a roof- as their homeground, Swallows has only open air ground. If you can't change your schedule easily you had better resereve a game held in Tokyo Dome. If you like to watch baseball itself you should take a seat in infield, if you want to shout and cry with other audience take a seat of outfield.

Last year Giants was the winner, Hiroshima Carp was 3rd but is improving its power these years.

www.etix.com/kketix/online/homePageSearch.do…

London, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Baseball - Tokyo Giants

Thanks for the advice. All of the games I am looking at are at the Tokyo Dome so the rain will be ok. I would rather be in the section with atmosphere (people shouting and cheering) Is the upper tier too far away for this?

As swallows are Tokyo, I thought this might be a better game as there is rivalry?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,102 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baseball - Tokyo Giants

Hanshin Tigers (Osaka-Kobe) vs Giants (Tokyo) is quite something, but apart from that, it's pretty much the Giants versus anti-Giants situation. Swallows or Carps won't make much difference although they both have strong fans (fanatics, literary).

Baseball games depend on the condition of players of the day and quite sophisticated tactics, not so much on rivalry. Unlike football, you'll never know what will be the outcome until the last ball of the 9th inning.

Bring opera glasses, if you can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNieVxzJDFU

Edited: 6:45 am, February 26, 2014
4. Re: Baseball - Tokyo Giants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, February 28, 2015