We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have a genuine bad seafood allergy - would like advice

Milton Keynes
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Have a genuine bad seafood allergy - would like advice

I am really excited as although I've travelled a lot to USA and continental Europe, I'm from the UK,I have never been to Asia before. I will be travelling as part of a package tour. I have a genuine allergy to seafood, even oyster sauce in something can make me ill. I could stick to rice and chicken but wonder if anyone has advice on local dishes that don't have seafood. I am thinking of getting a card printed in Japanese and English saying that I will be ill if I eat seafood.

Any advice , help would be welcomed

Mandy

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,156 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have a genuine bad seafood allergy - would like advice

This is indeed a serious problem. Are you allergic to fish? A fish stock is used in many soups and broths, and flakes of bonito are often used as a garnish: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katsuobushi

Here is some information on printed cards, and a link to Japanese-language Epipen description, which may help you if airport security has a question about it: tripadvisor.com/…47264003 Also note the suggestion to search Japan Forums (many discussions are not just in Tokyo Forums).

Kanagawa...
Level Contributor
3,406 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have a genuine bad seafood allergy - would like advice

In many cases, the Japanese are using the soup of bonito and kelp.

There are Shottsuru (used in Akita mainly) of Japan, Nampla of Thai , and nuoc mam of Vietnam ,etc, in fish (shouyu) sauce(Gyo-sho,魚醤).

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,986 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have a genuine bad seafood allergy - would like advice

Everything has seafood. Sauces and dressings very often have bonito based stock.

>> I could stick to rice and chicken

Oyako Don , chicken + egg rice bowl, has (lots of) fish stock. I would imagine fried chicken (karaage) without dipping sauce would be OK.

Having a card may or may not help, because most locals forget that dashi (soup stock) is very often fish based.

Buddhist vegetarian would have no seafood.

Edited: 10:32 am, February 02, 2014
Kanagawa...
Level Contributor
3,406 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have a genuine bad seafood allergy - would like advice

Vegan tokyo

http://www.happycow.net/asia/japan/tokyo/

Milton Keynes
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have a genuine bad seafood allergy - would like advice

Thank you for this. I can actually eat fish, the allergy is to shellfish/seafood - makes me very sick rather than an anaphylactic reaction. So I think that anything that just has a fish stock will be OK . The cards mentioned seem to me a good idea. I will look at the Japan forum..

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,258 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Have a genuine bad seafood allergy - would like advice

Here's a recent "vegetarian" thread.

tripadvisor.com/…55775872

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,986 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have a genuine bad seafood allergy - would like advice

I hope your card states the exact allergy, unlike the title of this thread.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,908 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Have a genuine bad seafood allergy - would like advice

A lot of things have fish stock. However, unless the specific dish says shell fish, you aren't likely to find shell fish in stock.

You can even eat at a sushi restaurant as long as you let the chef know your allergy. Don't eat anything that is questionable.

9. Re: Have a genuine bad seafood allergy - would like advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 05, 2015