We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Areas with easy access to attractions and restaurants

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Areas with easy access to attractions and restaurants

My husband and I are travelling to Tokyo at the end of May for 5 days with our 7.5 month old son. We are having trouble deciding on the best area to book our accommodation. We would like to be in an area that is safe, close to main attractions, a wide selection of restaurants and close (10 min walk) to a train station.

We would love to hear from anyone who has found such a place.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Areas with easy access to attractions and restaurants

"We would like to be in an area that is safe, close to main attractions, a wide selection of restaurants and close (10 min walk) to a train station."

Pretty much everywhere in central Tokyo meets that description, except for the "close to main attractions". Nowhere in Tokyo is close to all the main attractions because Tokyo is so large and the attractions are spread out. You are going to have to travel to see everything, but there are train services everywhere.

Ginza, Shinjuku and Shibuya are popular choices. Have a read of this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298184-i861-k6256…

Edited: 12:10 am, January 19, 2014
Tokyo
Level Contributor
322 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Areas with easy access to attractions and restaurants

I recommend IIdabashi to stay for foreigners, where so many tarditional shops and restaurants are available, and so many traffics are alternative in the center of Tokyo. They have Youth Hostel there.

http://www.jyh.gr.jp/tcyh/e/top.html

And they have also hotels and Japanese type Ryokans.

www.agneshotel.com/foreign/e_access.html

Or Japanese type Ryokan "Wakana"

atkagurazaka.seesaa.net/article/19066489.html

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,080 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Areas with easy access to attractions and restaurants

Unless you are on a super-tight budget, I don't recommend an area like IIdabashi with a child or if you are a first-timer.

The popular areas are Shinjuku, Shibuya and Ginza for nice areas that are happening. Ikebukuro has a similar vibe with more budget hotel options. Asakusa and Ueno has some charming places that are quieter. All of these areas are safe and convenient.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,851 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Areas with easy access to attractions and restaurants

I don't understand why anybody recommends a hostel in Iidabashi to a couple with a baby??

Stick with popular areas mentioned in #1 and 3.

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Areas with easy access to attractions and restaurants

Thank you everyone for your comments and advice. After much deliberation we have booked our accommodation in Chiyoda as it offered us the most space.

Now we are looking forward to our trip.

6. Re: Areas with easy access to attractions and restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 11, 2015