We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

metro govt building versus skytree

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
207 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
metro govt building versus skytree

hi everyone, ive visited tokyo on several occasions and as yet not seen the view from skytree

I always go up the metro govt building for a great all round view for free not too mention the great value lunches with office workers!

is the view that much better from skytree and how much for said view?

im travelling this yr for sakura, see you soon

thanks

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: metro govt building versus skytree

The crowds at Skytree have always driven me away. If anyone knows when is the least crowded time and the easiest way to buy a ticket I would sure like to know. I'm not talking about a guide that describes the process, I'm talking about anecdotal experiences in simplifying an otherwise burdensome process.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,850 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: metro govt building versus skytree

Tokyo City View (Roppongi Hills) arguably offers the best Tokyo view. Tokyo Sky Tree gives you a higher-up (but not necessarily better) view.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
24,043 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: metro govt building versus skytree

I'm with Sammy on this one. I think the Tokyo City View is the best, especially at night. I've been to Sky Tree a few times but I don't think I'll go back for a long while. It's nice, new and high but that's about it.

TMG Building is just OK. If you're in the vicinity, check it out since it's free. But it's really not a good observatory, IMO.

Route-san,

If you go to Sky Tree on a weekday ~15 minutes before they open at 8:30AM, the queue is minimum. When I was there last time, it only took 5 minutes to get a same day ticket.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
207 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: metro govt building versus skytree

thanks guys, i will bypass the tourist skytree yet again and check out tokyo view in roppongi

tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: metro govt building versus skytree

The advantage of the TMG is that it is free.

Another "free" nice view of Tokyo in my opinion is on the ground from Odaiba. You see the Rainbow Bridge, Tokyo Tower and various high-rise buildings.

6. Re: metro govt building versus skytree

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, January 17, 2015