We will arrive NRT at 3pm and assume can clear customs and be at JR office by 4pm. Next step is to exchange JR pass, activate it immediately and seat reservation for NEX to Shinagawa station, then change to Shinkansen to Kyoto. I have the following questions and hopefully I can receive some advices:
1) Few posts indicated that if the staffs at JR are busy, they will not make reservation - I assume that is true for pass holders who don't activate the pass. But if we need to travel the same day, they will make seat reservation, right?
2) The last NEX leaving NRT is around 6:30pm, not sure how long is the queue, will 2 hrs allow enough time? We will arrive terminal 1 on Sunday March 30 at 3:00pm
3) I am thinking to write down the train #, time, destination and passenger name on a piece of paper and hand it to the JR staff. Will this speed the process?
4) There are 10 in our group, should it be faster to do #3 for all of us or let everyone do their own exchange?
5) Will we be able to catch taxi around midnight at Kyoto to our rental machiya in Gion district?
6) It is safe to travel that late?
Thanks in advance for your reply.