We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel within Tokyo and to Kyoto

Dublin, OH USA
Level Contributor
53 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Travel within Tokyo and to Kyoto

We are going to Tokyo and Kyoto for 2 weeks. Staying in East Giza in Tokyo. From my research it looks as if I have 2 choices for travel within Tokyo and to Kyoto and back. Plan on taking train directly from Kyoto to Tokyo airport on the last day for an afternoon flight.

First way:

Arrive in Tokyo and buy a SUICSA/NEX combined ticket. Gives round trip to airport. Also has 2000 yen of prepaid 1500 yen of travel and 500 yen of deposit. Suica can be recharged. Cost is 5500 yen per person.

Purchase an JAPANiCAN E-voucher for Tokyo to Kyoto is 21000 yen pp before we go. Good for 1 week. Round trip ticket between Kyoto and Tokyo. Also includes unlimited rides throughout Kyoto on pubic transport.

Other way:

One way SUICSA/NEX combo ticket.

Purchase Japan rail pass 37800 yen pp for 7 days before you go. Good for almost all trains and buses belonging to JR group. This will take us from Kyoto back to the Airport included in price.

To me it sounds like the first choice is best. Any thoughts or other suggestions that I haven't thought of?

Best Seller
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
3,989 reviews
from $156.90*
Best Seller
Mt. Fuji Day Trip Including Lake Ashi...
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
862 reviews
from $66.50*
3-Day Mt Fuji, Kyoto and Nara Rail...
133 reviews
from $586.20*
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel within Tokyo and to Kyoto

7 day jr pass is 28300yen, not 37800. If you plan day trips from Kyoto(to Hiroshima or Himeji), jr pass becomes more advantageous.

Japanican s good point is you can ride fastest NOZOMI type Shinkansen. Jr pass holder cant.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
50,445 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel within Tokyo and to Kyoto

Green Class is 37800. Ordinary is 28,300. http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en003.html

Dublin, OH USA
Level Contributor
53 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel within Tokyo and to Kyoto

Thanks for the replies and the correction. Interesting though, I just checked and the Japanican e-voucher does not look like it is available for the summer months. It was available a few weeks ago. Maybe I can only use the JR pass.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,253 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel within Tokyo and to Kyoto

The Japanican e-voucher package should be available in the summer as well. It appears that you can't book the summer package at this point because it's not available for booking >90 days in advance.

Dublin, OH USA
Level Contributor
53 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel within Tokyo and to Kyoto

Thanks! That makes sense.

6. Re: Travel within Tokyo and to Kyoto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 02, 2015