We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tokyo in July????

london
Level Contributor
311 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Tokyo in July????

Hi there,

Our family of four are planning a trip to Tokyo in July 2014.

Someone told us that the heat and humidity are bad at that time of year and we shouldn't go there.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,004 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tokyo in July????

IME, Tokyo in July is very hot and humid a bit like being in a steam bath with your clothes on. Air conditioning is fairly widespread, although to save energy it seems to be set on a less cold setting than it may have been in the past. However, in Tokyo I stayed in small relatively inexpensive business hotels and never found my room too hot to sleep.

Places in the mountains like Mount Koya and Takayama and northern places in Tohoku were a bit more comfortable. Kyoto is even worse than Tokyo for heat and humidity.

However, IMHO if travelling in Spring or Autumn is not possible, Japan in July is still better than no Japan at all.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,277 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tokyo in July????

Weather - http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2273.html

I've been to Japan in July. If you can tolerate the heat and humidity - go for it.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
477 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tokyo in July????

IMO, avoid. Especially if you are from London.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,461 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tokyo in July????

I've been to Japan in August and the heat and humidity were awful. September is a little bit better, and by mid-October, it is comfortable. So I would suggest visiting in October if you can.

However, be aware that there is a tradeoff between humidity (which peaks in the summer) and typhoons (which occur in the fall). The humidity is so awful and constant in the summer that I prefer to risk an occasional typhoon in the fall.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tokyo in July????

I went in August with my daughter and there was a heatwave, friends we met up with were complaining how hot it was. Before we got there I thought I could cope with the humidity as I've lived in Texas but I was so wrong! We did a lot but not as much as we could've done as it just zapped our energy and instead of my favourite holiday passtime of people watching with a beer when I get tired we went shopping to cool down. However, we had such a fantastic time I'd willingly do it again but I'd rethink what clothes I took.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tokyo in July????

Don't go there in July! Unless you've already booked, of course.

But really, I was there this July, and even though I generally like the heat, I didn't enjoy these temperatures any more. I actually bought two fans, since I stupidly put my first fan into the bag that was being forwarded to our hotel in Hiroshima and that I wouldn't get back until two days later, so I bought another fan in the evening of the first day, just for the one missing day. That's how bad it was.

I liked Japan, but when I go there again, it won't be at that time of the year.

Of course there is some air conditioning, and the temperature is usually quite comfortable (= not too cold), but that won't help you when you're outdoors.

7. Re: Tokyo in July????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 21, 2014