We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Watching English Premier League?

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
326 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Watching English Premier League?

Does anyone know where I could watch next Saturday's EPL game between Arsenal and Liverpool? It's a big game - and the sort of thing that might be on in a sports bar. The last thread I can find on this was in 2008 and things might have changed since then. Ideally it might be somewhere near Ikebukuro where I'm staying, but if it's Roppongi or Shibuya I can travel.

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Watching English Premier League?

There is an Irish bar in Shinjuku that has premier league matches on. Sorry, I can't remeber exactly where it was but the matches were live as I recall.

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Watching English Premier League?

There is an Irish bar in Shinjuku that has premier league matches on. Sorry, I can't remeber exactly where it was but the matches were live as I recall.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
22,879 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Watching English Premier League?

Hub British pubs usually show EPL games. Looks like Ikebukuro West Exit Park branch will show EPL live starting at 23:45 with the Fulham vs. Manchester United on Nov. 2:

http://www.pub-hub.com/b_schedule/

West Exit Park branch:

http://www.pub-hub.com/shop/nishiguchi/

London
Level Contributor
326 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Watching English Premier League?

Many thanks for this. It's irritating that the one match on offer is not the one I wanted, and which I think most neutral EPL supporters would recognise is not the main match of the day. (Certainly not if you're an Arsenal or Liverpool fan).

FWIW, & for UK visitors/football followers: the matches Hub seem to offer are not the games available on Sky Sports but those from BT/ESPN.

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Watching English Premier League?

I looked up the bar in Shinjuku and it was called Dubliners. I think there are a few of them dotted around Tokyo. They had two EPL games on the night we were there.

London
Level Contributor
326 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Watching English Premier League?

Thanks, Id. I see there's a Dubliners' pub in Ikebukuro too, where we're staying. So maybe there's a chance they'll be showing it. Then I've just got one more game on the following Saturday to cover and I won't miss anything - I don't suppose you know anything about sports bars in Hiroshima do you?!

London
Level Contributor
326 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Watching English Premier League?

I hadn't really thought this through. The kick off was at 5 pm, which meant it wouldn't have started until two in the morning Tokyo time, which I suspect would be too late for a bar.

I ended up watching it two days later on NHK’s BS1 channel on the tv in my hotel room. I'd asked the receptionist at my hotel to check the schedules for me. The game used the English commentary and I had the choice of watching it on the Monday at 8pm or Tuesday at 11am.

8. Re: Watching English Premier League?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 22, 2014