We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Hotels, Apts, Location, and Budget

Boston
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Question about Hotels, Apts, Location, and Budget

Hi. I'm kinda lost about planning a trip to Tokyo. I've spent so many days thinking how I should go about visiting, but it seems very hazy to me.

Here are my questions:

1. Should I stay at a hotel or serviced apts like Sakura-House? The stay was originally for 3 weeks, but Sakura house is much cheaper and allows a 1 month stay. Most Sakura house places are approx. 800 USD, with much less amenities of course compared to a hotel.

If i were to stay at a hotel, it would be: Park Hotel Tokyo, Century Hyatt, Oakwood (the Mansions) at Roppongi, Star Hotel in Shinjyuku.

2. How much spending money do I need to take?

3. Going back to Q.1, how many days in Tokyo is optimal if I'm just seeing around Tokyo (shinjyuku,shibuya,ginza,roppongi,akihabara) and maybe 1 day in Kyoto? Some of my friends said 2 weeks is enough, and some say it isn't and I should stay longer if i can like 1 month, to maximize the feeling of being there.

4. My budget is about 570000 Yen. Is it better to maximize my "stay" at the hotel by paying more for places such as Park Hotel or going with Sakura House or Shinjyuku Star Hotel and buying more stuff?

5. Location. Aside from all the hotels and apts, what area (most ppl told me shinjyuku) is the best place to stay? I might go to some bars and clubs and I don't want to have the train stop running.

6. Park Hyatt in Shinjyuku - is it worth trying out a couple nights?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about Hotels, Apts, Location, and Budget

I would recommend staying at business hotels or inns, where you can get a nice room for as little as $30 a night. Forget those fancy hotel chains. Lop off a little time in Tokyo and spend at least 3 nights in Kyoto. There is so much culture and history there.Nara is also worth spending a day to see.

I don't quite understand your budget- you are talking Sakura House(dive) and Park Hyatt($200 + per night) and mention shopping. Stuff isn't chaep here. Plan on $100 a day which will include accommodation at a cheap inn, plus food and transport and admission to sits(temples, parks, museums, etc). Add on another $30/$40 per day if you want to drink and buy souvenirs.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,528 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about Hotels, Apts, Location, and Budget

4. depends on individual tastes. some people must stay at 4-5 star places when travelling. And if you are the backpacker type, or used to staying at small independent hotels in Europe, I would imagine the apartments (self-contained, not shared gaijin house) to be OK, though I've never visited those mentioned in your post.

5. if you want to visit bars and clubs that are for locals, Shinjuku. For the more foreigner-friendly(staff and patrons) places, you need to go to Roppongi. As you already know, public transit shuts down at midnight and you'll be stuck with pricey taxis.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about Hotels, Apts, Location, and Budget

If your budget is Y570000 that works out to about Y27100/day for 21 days. You should consider something like a Tokyu Stay Apartment Hotel which is a good compromise between something like the Sakura House and a full service hotel. As for maximizing the feel of being in Japan (as opposed to staying in a hotel in a business district) I would recommend considering the Tokyu Stay in Yutenji. It's very close to Shibuya (a few stops on the Tokyu Toyoko Line) but it's in a very nice residential area (no highrises, large businesses, etc.) and has good access to central Tokyo and even Yokohama. The Toyoko Line traverses mostly middle-to-upper-middle-class residential areas and I think Yutenji is a perfect area to feel like you're a resident of Japan, not just a visitor. The apartment units have a cooktop, microwave, washer and small dryer inside the unit. See: www.tokyustay.co.jp/e/hotel/YU/index.html

Given your budget, I would not waste money on the Park Hyatt. That place caters to expense accounts and not to people who are shelling out their own hard-earned money.

Boston
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about Hotels, Apts, Location, and Budget

Thank you all for such helpful advice. Most places I wanted to visit are Shibuya, Shinkjuku, Kyoto and some temples. I will consider Tokyu Hands at the location Route 247 mentioned. I think basically there are different purposes for people to visit Tokyo. For me, I really don't have to go see all the attractions such as museums, but I just wanted to live the life of an average Japanese citizen. To be able to walk out of a residential area and to catch the train, then to look around main tokyo areas. I think that is much more rewarding and sort of integrating with their society than to rent a fancy hotel in a touristy area. I mean, I guess that's why some hotel agents I emailed told me no more than 2 weeks because i'm there to sight see, so that's why i was really confused. In all honestly I do want to rent a 4 star hotel and stay like 8 nights and come back home, but I figure, staying longer days would be more rewarding than to shorten my stay. Bibimbob, I'll definitely try Shinjuku bars/clubs and also some Shibuya ones. And thank you Maneki-neko (means cat?) - I will not consider fancy hotels. I think if I stayed at 300/night hotels, I wouldn't leave it b/c for me it really feels like I'm wasting the amenities. Thanks all again.

Boston
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about Hotels, Apts, Location, and Budget

Oops. Sorry! I was reading the Lonely Planet Guide and just read up about Tokyu Hands and then got confused with Tokyu Stay. But you know what I mean. =)

Boston
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about Hotels, Apts, Location, and Budget

Sorry 1 more question.. is 1 month stay too long?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about Hotels, Apts, Location, and Budget

No, one month will give you a good taste of Jpaan. But I would recommend seein gmore of it than just hanging out in Tokyo. See some of the nature(Nagano/Gifu area) go down to Himeji and see the fabulous castle, visit Hiroshima, see Miyajima, check out the hotsprings in Kyushu, see the Seto Inland Sea area. Most of my family members have stayed a month on their visits and we did most of the above, plus more! Japan has so much more to offer than just crowded big cities(which all look the same, BTW!)...

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about Hotels, Apts, Location, and Budget

I think you have a similar outlook as I do. I've stayed hundreds of nights at full-service hotels and I really get a little tired of it, unless it's an overnighter in business attire and I just need to get in and get out of town.

Regarding the desire to stay in a residential area, the Tokyu Stay in Yutenji is really perfect because of the convenient location, the English language website, the washer/dryer in the room and the fact that it's buried in a residential area.

An alternative is a weekly mansion like http://www.wmt.co.jp/reserve/index.html (sorry, it's in Japanese) but the Sangenjaya location is also ideal for what you're looking for. See: http://www.wmt.co.jp/reserve/sangenjaya/ for details on that location. You can use the google translator to help understand what the pages say. It would probably be helpful to have someone who speaks Japanese to facilitate your reservation and ask any questions you might have.

<<<For me, I really don't have to go see all the attractions such as museums, but I just wanted to live the life of an average Japanese citizen. To be able to walk out of a residential area and to catch the train, then to look around main tokyo areas. I think that is much more rewarding and sort of integrating with their society than to rent a fancy hotel in a touristy area. I mean, I guess that's why some hotel agents I emailed told me no more than 2 weeks because i'm there to sight see, so that's why i was really confused. In all honestly I do want to rent a 4 star hotel and stay like 8 nights and come back home, but I figure, staying longer days would be more rewarding than to shorten my stay.>>>

Boston
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about Hotels, Apts, Location, and Budget

Sorry for the late reply. I was out pretty much the whole weekend. But anyway, Maneko thanks for the support on staying 1 month. You are actually the first person ever to tell me it is ok. All others told me 2-3 weeks, and 3 was pushing the upper limit. Route 247, I looked at Yutenji and also that Japanese site. My Japanese reading is very minimal, so I can only read a few characters. Tokyu Stay in Ginza seemed to have nicer rooms at similar rates and they were close to Tsujiki. Also, sorry to ask but, how about Shibuya (not the one right next to train station)? How is that compared to Yutenji? I'm just trying all my options. When I finalize my trip and it does turn out to be 1 month, I will definitely visit other places too. =). For that length I guess it would be beneficial to check out other parts of Japan to get the full feeling. Thanks.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about Hotels, Apts, Location, and Budget

The Higashi Ginza location is very close to the fish market, however, it is urban and in a business area so you will not get the feeling of being in a residential neighborhood. It's also a busy area. Ditto for the Shibuya location which is very convenient but it's sandwiched between the JR and Tokyu line tracks and urban in nature. The reason I pointed out Yutenji is because it's in a real residential neighborhood that is extremely quiet, relatively upscale and very clean. The walk to and from the station (3 minutes or so) will take you through an area with small businesses vital to residential living (beauty salon, motorcycle shop, cleaners, small pubs and diners, real estate offices, a residential parking lot, etc.). Other than the Yoga location, it's the Tokyu Stay location where you will get a real feeling of being in a residential area that is very convenient to the bustle of central Tokyo.

One month, if you have the time off would be great.

<<<I looked at Yutenji and also that Japanese site. My Japanese reading is very minimal, so I can only read a few characters. Tokyu Stay in Ginza seemed to have nicer rooms at similar rates and they were close to Tsujiki. Also, sorry to ask but, how about Shibuya (not the one right next to train station)? How is that compared to Yutenji? I'm just trying all my options. When I finalize my trip and it does turn out to be 1 month, I will definitely visit other places too. =). For that length I guess it would be beneficial to check out other parts of Japan to get the full feeling. Thanks.>>>