We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget per day

US
Level Contributor
427 posts
Save Topic
Budget per day

I will be in Tokyo this coming Sunday.

Just wondering if I am bringing enough cash?

I don't know if credit cards are widely accepted in restaurants etc?

I will be in Tokyo with my husband and 2 kids under 6 for 7 days.

We don't plan to eat anything fancy and just normal food that locals eat.

Disney and accommodation are pre-paid.

We are not traveling outside of Tokyo - mainly within Tokyo so we won't be using the travel pass packages except for Suica.

How much cash should I bring?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
477 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget per day

A guide to budgets: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2410.html

Suggest also having a click around the Japan Guide website at the various attractions you will want to see and how to get to them. With research you will get a better understanding of how much you will be spending everyday, based on your itinerary.

Better to carry cash, Japan is a very cash based society. If you are making high-end purchases at department stores or restaurants, you can use a card, but for your average quick lunch, grabbing some snacks at the convenience store, train fares, and entrance fees, you will need cash.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget per day

Nowadays, we can use cards in many shops and restaurant of Tokyo ,but compared to american citys , cards are often rejected. If it's possible you should withdraw JPY from ATM. I think It's the best way.

My blog introduce travel information of Japan

http://japan-magical.blogspot.jp/

US
Level Contributor
427 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget per day

Thanks

I am thinking about 150,000 yen.

Is that enough? Or tight?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget per day

You can do six or seven days for JPY150,000, but I think you may find it turn out to be a bit on the tight side. If you are going to be using the trains/subways a lot, visiting various places around the city, getting around will take a bite out of your budget pretty quickly. If you allot JPY1,000 for you and your husband a day (your kids can ride for free), you should cover your daily travel expenses and most likely have a surplus.

Picking up drinks and crackers, etc. for the kids will cost a bit, too. When we head into the city with our 4 year-old, I know that although we bring our own tea and snacks, we still end up picking up a snack or treat for him (and us, if it's an outing!) along the way...

Also, as mentioned above, you will find it harder to use your credit card here than at home. While using cards for smaller purchases and sundries is easier than it used to be, there are still a lot of places that work on cash only - particularly small, local restaurants and izakaya - and so this means that you will need to have more cash on hand, just in case.

Naturally, your milage may vary - I don't know how frugally or luxuriously you like to travel! Hope this helps!

US
Level Contributor
427 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget per day

Thanks so much. I think I will bring a bit more just in case.

We can be frugal but don't really like to on a holiday.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
439 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget per day

for my last trip to tokyo (8d7n), i bring yen110,000 for transport, admission tickets, meal and shopping which i find is not really enough.

US
Level Contributor
427 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget per day

amigoluv, 110,000 for how many pax?

Shopping doesn't interest me and even if so I would pay with credit card if it is from a store.

Thanks

8. Re: Budget per day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 26, 2014