We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

phone

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
204 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
phone

yes i have read all the previous threads but Too much info

i just want to keep in touch with japanese friends while im in japan visiting them and to call them when i get lost or require translations- that is all i need. is it possible to just rent a mobile to achieve the above?

thanks

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,541 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: phone

http://mb.softbank.jp/en/prepaid_service/

au.kddi.com/english/mobile/product/prepaid/

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
295 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: phone

As in the other reply, you can get a pre-paid (top up) service in Japan. You should be able to use the pre paid SIM in your phone, although I know in some countries, the phone is tied to the providers' SIM so it licks if you install a foreign SIM. Its is generally so in much of Europe but not in Asia). I'm not sure what they do in Australia.

Find out and in this case, you'll just have to put the Japanese SIM in the phone you already own. I've never seen a phone rental service there; although there certainly may be one I have not seen.

Or, I suppose if you want to maintain the use of both your home number AND the Japanese one while you're there, you could just bring an old phone from home and use the Japanese SIM in that one.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
204 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: phone

i have a samsung 2 on contract - so according to what youve said i can just replace the sim card when i arrive in tokyo, ive been told that this is not possible as im not a japanese national/ living there

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
295 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: phone

This would not be possible if you tried to purchase a 'regular' pay as you go account. Only Japanese nationals and those with residence/work visas can do that. You can only manage this with pre paid SIM's.

As you have your phone based on a local contract at home, do check with them first if it will take a foreign SIM without locking. You can get the pre paid SIM in many locations once you hit the ground in Japan. I've done this in various locations in Asia but admittedly not in Japan. I'm just going by what people have told me THEY have done and what you can do in most of the region.

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,258 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: phone

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2223.html

Easy enough to rent a phone. Pick up at airport or delivered to hotel.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,362 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: phone

>> I've never seen a phone rental service there

It is available at all international airports in Japan.

>> This would not be possible if you tried to purchase a 'regular' pay as you go account. Only Japanese nationals and those with residence/work visas can do that. You can only manage this with pre paid SIM's.

Care to explain the difference between a " 'regular' pay as you go account" and "pre paid SIM's. " , and where can you purchase those "pre paid SIM's " and activate them legally in Japan, as a temporary visitor?

7. Re: phone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 29, 2014