We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget for travel/transport

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
197 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Budget for travel/transport

Hi guys,

I am trying to budget for my travel in December, here's my plan so far:

Staying at Shinjuku, going to Shibuya/Harajuku, Mitaka (Ghibli), Ikebukuro, Roppongi, Ginza, Asakusa, Odaiba, Akihabara... Will do a day trip to Chichibu & Kawagoe...

Also transport in Kyoto for 2-3 days and then in Osaka for 5 days.

Approximately, for a trip like this, how much would I spend on transport alone? Just want to see if $200 for the transport (per person) will be sufficient. (This doesn't include the JR Pass/Shinkansen rides to get to those places.)

I know it's probably hard for you to let me know exactly how much I'm gonna spend, but it's just a realistic budget that I hope I can work on. Thank you! :)

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget for travel/transport

1000yen per person per day within a city

2000yen-5000yen per person per day for regional 1 day trip

Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto is around 13000yen

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
477 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget for travel/transport

The way to see exactly how much your transportation will cost, is to research exact fares on http://www.hyperdia.com/en . Start plugging in stations from Shinjuku to Odaiba, Shinjuku to Asakusa, etc. You will quickly get an idea of how much train tickets will cost... of course if you are buying the JR Rail Pass you should take that into account. Have fun!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
197 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget for travel/transport

Thanks! I've tried picking spots nearby to each other each day, so hopefully there will be lesser train-ing around... From the few days that I've gathered, yup it seems like ¥500-1000 is a fair call for daily transport around Tokyo.

Would it be worth it using one-day passes instead?

4. Re: Budget for travel/transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:35 am, September 26, 2013
Melbourne
Level Contributor
197 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget for travel/transport

Thanks Daniel P! (:

Level Contributor
1,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget for travel/transport

You know Daniel has been busy today promoting his own business.

Level Contributor
1,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget for travel/transport

The rest of us on T/A don't have any hidden agenda & aren't here to charge you for our advice.

You'll find that if you organise your sightseeing around certain areas each day you probably won't be crossing back & forth so much. You can actually walk from Shinjuku to Harajuku/Shibuya/Omotesando & spend the whole day & night around there.

I personally wouldn't get a day train pass for Tokyo, only do this is if you know you will be doing heaps of trips in & around Tokyo each day.

Single train fare prices across Tokyo vary depending on the line you use. eg. a subway trip from to Shinjuku to Ginza is ¥190. Shibuya to Roppongi is actually a bit more than Daniel quoted ¥260 -290 depending on which train line you use.)

For Chichibu & Kawagoe: 3 rail companies can get you there

Seibu line has a discount deal from Shinjuku or Ikebukuro seibu-group.co.jp/railways/…

Tobu LIne tobu.co.jp/foreign/tobulineguide/index.html

and you can also go by JR.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
197 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget for travel/transport

Thanks Elly M! Especially for the discount tickets info, will be very handy...

9. Re: Budget for travel/transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 01, 2014