We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Niwa vs Hotel Ryumeikan

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotel Niwa vs Hotel Ryumeikan

Hello experts,

We will be traveling back from Kyoto and staying for 5 nights in Tokyo before returning to NY.

Couldn't decide which of the 2 hotels to stay. Hotel Ryumeikan (near Tokyo station) is about 3000 Yen more per night than Niwa (near Tokyo Dome) but Niwa might have a bit more space. But Niwa is not as central as Ryumeikan but we are walker so don't mind the walks. Any suggestion if the extra price is worth being closer to the center of Tokyo? Both hotels received the award of Top 2013 hotels from Trip Advisor. Thanks.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
477 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Niwa vs Hotel Ryumeikan

I don't have advice on which hotel has more space or which is better, you'll have to read the reviews for that. I will say that being in the "center of Tokyo" is not necessarily something to base your choice on - the exact geographical center of Tokyo actually does not have many attractions. The figurative center of Tokyo is arguable and we won't get into it here. But in either case, you are close enough to public transport that you will be able to see what you want to see. Transportation wise, I think Hotel Ryumeikan is actually better since you will be next to a station on the Yamonote Line, which will take you to many popular Tokyo attractions.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,472 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Niwa vs Hotel Ryumeikan

Are you comparing same grade of rooms? The standard twin at Ryumeikan is 32.5m2, whereas the superior twin at the NIwa is 24m2. I'd go for the Rymeikan for sure for a larger room and better location.

Get a larger room in a better location and save 3,000yen per night!

New York
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Niwa vs Hotel Ryumeikan

Hi actually Niwa has the superior double at 24 sq meter with a larger bed too vs. Ryumeikan at 19.7 sq meter. I guess I will book Niwa since getting around is still not that bad. Now if I just can find something similar in price and amenity in Kyoto that would be great. Thank you.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Niwa vs Hotel Ryumeikan

As for a somewhat similar hotel in Kyoto, have you looked at the Best Western Kyoto? The standard doubles are small, so you might want to book one of the larger room categories: http://kyoto.bwhotels.jp/

Gujarat, India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,958 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Niwa vs Hotel Ryumeikan

Can only comment on the Niwa which we stayed last Nov in a comfort room. See review below.

It was nice to have a different area of Tokyo to stay in and being outside of the 'center' really did not bother us. The station is only a few mins walk away and there are plenty of eating places around the area itself. I would recommend the Niwa for a stay and perhaps save yourself 3000yen per night.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g1066443-d…

New York
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Niwa vs Hotel Ryumeikan

@Scotlandscout. Thank you for your reassurance. I read your review and sounded like you had a nice stays. I was just wondering if you have made your reservation directly with the hotel or used another booking site. The reason I asked is because the room I wanted is only available on the hotel site and not via the normal booking site like Orbitz or Expedia which I normally used. So I am just little concern if it might be a typo on the hotel website.

New York
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Niwa vs Hotel Ryumeikan

@arevan_1, I have checked that hotel too. They do not have any available rooms. I think it is the dates I am planning which is the peak season Nov 29-Dec 4th, and I am having a hard time finding something. It might be it is the weekend, so I might have to go to visit some other place first and come back to Kyoto to skip the weekend.

Gujarat, India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,958 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Niwa vs Hotel Ryumeikan

triptogo, we booked direct with the hotel, however when we arrived we were a little early to check in and were just going to leave our luggage as the room was not ready. We had booked a superior double, but we were asked if at a supplement (cannot remember how much but it was worth it and less than the advertised rate) if we would like to upgrade to a comfort room which we could have right away. We did and were very happy with the room.

9. Re: Hotel Niwa vs Hotel Ryumeikan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 29, 2014