We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine and Dairy products

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
42,068 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Wine and Dairy products

Hi,

Visiting Tokyo in September and have a couple of queries.

Is the duty free at Narita in Departures only? I was hoping to purchase a bottle of wine but should maybe pick this up in Dubai instead? I did a search and that's what I found - also that the prices of alcohol were not much cheaper in Duty Free than the licquer stores in town.

How much approximately would I pay for a bottle of sauvignon blanc for instance?

Second query is this:

I am a vegetarian and don't eat fish either but I have an additional problem in that I am allergic to nuts - all nuts not just peanuts.

I will carry t translation cards but I was researching on the availability of dairy products - cheese etc in stores like 7-11s and supermarkets in Tokyo.

Can anyone advise where I can pick cheese and milk up - I am staying at the Intercontinental Tokyo Bay which I understand is not too central.

I also checked whether I can bring cheese in to Japan and that seems a yes?

If anyone can offer any advice that would be great, epecially on the food aspect!

Best Seller
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
3,992 reviews
from $156.80*
Best Seller
Mt. Fuji Day Trip Including Lake Ashi...
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
862 reviews
from $66.40*
3-Day Mt Fuji, Kyoto and Nara Rail...
133 reviews
from $585.80*
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine and Dairy products

You can find dairy products in convenience stores, but hopefully you like yogurt - there's a good supply of that (and yogurt drinks).

If you want to experience Japanese food, or at least Japanese-like food, you should research restaurants in advance. Fall back options include italian and indian food.

Not a lot of nuts in Japanese food.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine and Dairy products

You can generally find a convenience store within 5 blocks of any point in metropolitan Tokyo. Virtually all of them carry yogurt and "string cheese" (a mild cheese).

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
25,592 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine and Dairy products

>>>How much approximately would I pay for a bottle of sauvignon blanc for instance?<<<

You can get a decent bottle for 2,000yen. Department stores have wide selections. You don't save much by shopping at a duty free shop, so don't even bother.

There is a Family Mart convenience store within the Intercontinental Hotel.

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine and Dairy products

Cheese and milk are widely available. If you want anything other than a sort of mild – well words fail me, you should try the food floor in a department store. The mild stuff is sold in very small packets.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
42,068 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine and Dairy products

Thankyou GaijinMike and Bargainhunter - yes I love yoghurt thanks!

I also love Italian food and there are quite a number of Italian restaurants in Tokyo.

I came across a website whilst researching this subject the other day and saved it to my desktop so maybe this will be helpful too or is it dated?

http://www.happycow.net/asia/japan/tokyo/

So much to learn!

Shibuyakko thanks for that information on the wine and the convenience store - very helpful indeed!:)

Edited: 5:34 pm, August 02, 2013
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,283 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine and Dairy products

Milk and dairy are everywhere. There won't be any shortage. if you can drink the full cream version, the Hokkaido milk, by reputation, has the best taste. Japanese-made cheese might be more of the mild tasting variety vs Continental Europe.

Wines tend to be more expensive but not ridiculously so. You will find them at lots of places as well.

I can't tell whether the vegan restaurants you listed are dated. You might want to use Google to see if they still have webpages available.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine and Dairy products

I highly recommend the peach yogurt in Japan, available at most convenience stores. Most convenience stores have little packages of carrot and celery sticks, cabbage-based salads, prepared rice, and egg salad sandwiches. The more innovative convenience stores will sell you a small bag of salad greens.

I would suggest locating a vegetarian restaurant near your hotel (in the Minato-ku district), and going there every night. It will save you the difficulty of finding addresses in Tokyo! You can use www.diddlefinger.com to find a specific address and see how far it is from your hotel.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wine and Dairy products

I saw a lot of current reviews on Happy Cow. Just check that the reviews are current and you should be fine. The one true authentic vegetarian Japanese cuisine is called shojin ryori, eaten by buddhist monks. I can't vouch for any specific places in Tokyo, but it might be worth seeking it out. Otherwise, you can search these forums for how you can eat tempura and other things in a mainstream japanese restaurant.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wine and Dairy products

Everything you can imagine and much more concerning food would be found in convenience stores, supermarkets, and department store basements throughout Japan. Local Japanese people here consume dairy products and wine daily. Yesterday midnight snack were Camembert cheese and sherry, for morning breakfast I had plain yogurt and milk as well as toast and egg with vegetables.

No need to buy anything at Dubai (buying alcohol in a Muslim country? Technically, you can, but...) or Narita.

Edited: 12:01 am, August 03, 2013
10. Re: Wine and Dairy products

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 am, August 03, 2013
Edited: 12:05 am, August 03, 2013