We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overpriced taxi fares

London, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Overpriced taxi fares

So not a surprise when everyone says Taxis in Tokyo are expensive, but now its official:

telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/10014474/M…

I didnt realise it's actually the MOST expensive in the world! I was thinking of cheating once in a while when my legs cant bear it anymore, but it looks like I might have to rethink when I do. I mean the subway is extensive but it's not like they are always minutes apart :(

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,381 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Overpriced taxi fares

Mega M's post is not pointless. Tokyo's taxi is quite expensive when compared to other cities. Although taxi fare in Tokyo is a bit more complicated than what can be described as per mile. Is it overpriced by Japanese price standards? Perhaps.

Also not all people are aware that airports can be far away from city center. There will always be some unfortunate and angry people feeling cheated after riding long taxi rides from Kansai Airport or Narita Airport.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,827 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Overpriced taxi fares

I don't think the post is pointless. However, it doesn't really provide anything meaningful either. Due to the distance and the associated cost, no regular person would take a taxi from NRT to Tokyo-proper. Trains are fast and efficient, while limobus offers door-to-door service to many popular hotels. Taxi just isn't even an option to consider.

London, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Overpriced taxi fares

Thank you yobekool, always more insightful than the biting remarks of bibimbob. I agree I may have jumped the gun a bit, but I didnt think reflecting on my thoughts would such dry remarks.

Im not sure Im convinced that taxis are good for short hops still like one poster said. I guess I just have to do more research into just how far I need to walk between places.

Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
5,320 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Overpriced taxi fares

I think the prices are reasonable for rides in clean & comfortable taxis driven by honest people who generally don't try to run the meter up like taxi drivers in other countries tend to do.

The long distance rides are pricey sometimes but the short distance ones are worth it. (For me, at least)

It's even better when there are 3 or 4 people because then it makes more sense to pay the extra money compared to taking public transportation.

*I've been here for over 15 years so my idea of "reasonable" may be different from people coming here from other countries. But seriously, I would rather pay more money for a ride in a Japanese taxi than pay less for a ride in a smelly, nasty one with sticky floor mats & door handles in another country but maybe that's just me. :)

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Overpriced taxi fares

I agree with Keith. I wouldn't for the life of me take a taxi ride from Narita anyway, but I am quite happy to take reasonably short trips. Taxis are impeccable, and the drivers really know what they're doing. Plus as he said they never ever try to cheat you. I've had taxis in one or two places try to rip me off, thinking I didn't know where we were going, and one guy in Texas – must have been anxious to get home - damn near killed me by lunatic driving. Plus I had to tip him, which didn't go down too well.

London, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Overpriced taxi fares

Do taxis there usually add more for extra people in tokyo when taking the cab?

Black cabs in london are mostly very clean and extremely spacious in our little fake rolls royces. Its nice to know tokyo cab drivers dont try to rip you off though.

Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
5,320 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Overpriced taxi fares

I almost said, "except the black cabs in London" as I've had great experiences with them on my two trips to England the past two years. They were clean & the drivers were friendly & helpful.

I too hate to tip the bad drivers in the States when I am there but do it for some reason. Or they are rude and unhelpful at first as well as during the ride and then I tip them big before getting out and all of a sudden they are friendly & human and leap out to give me a hand with the suitcases. No tipping in Japan and the drivers help anyway. Overly helpful.

I have only ever had 4 people in one taxi in Japan and there wasn't any extra charge. The regular sized taxis won't take 5 people 95% of the time. I've seen 5 little old ladies in Kyoto taxis so they must get special treatment. :)

Boston
Level Contributor
3,118 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Overpriced taxi fares

Taxi in Tokyo isn't too bad for short hop or big group. I was tired and lost on my first night in Kabukicho so I took the cab back to the Hilton for only 800yen. Four of us took a cab in Kamakura from the Hasedera Temple to the money-laundering shrine, and the cab waited 30 minutes for to take us back to town, for only 2000yen. The drivers don't take tip so the price comes out very reasonable.

Edited: 3:07 am, April 26, 2013
Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,663 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Overpriced taxi fares

You have a reserve a van if you have more than 4 passengers. Regular cars/taxis can legally carry 5 people. There is no extra charge per extra person, nor is there a luggage fee.

Most taxi companies have a fixed to and from the airports (Haneda and Narita). MK Taxi is known to have the best rates.

www.tokyomk.com/eng/airport.html#air_price

There is no tipping, however you certainly would have a happy driver if you told him to keep the change. "Otsuri wa kekko desu." Ie. your fare is ¥970 and you give your driver ¥1,000, or your fare is ¥4,500 and give your driver ¥5,000.

Most (if not all) cabs accept credit cards. Non-smoking cars are clearly marked. This site has the all the info you need to catching a cab.

http://www.tokyotopia.com/tokyo-taxi.html

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,707 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Overpriced taxi fares

I've taken a late evening taxi to Hilton Narita from central Tokyo twice. I paid abt 100 UKP both times. Not overpriced to me, so I guess I disagree with overall thrust of this.