We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tokyo for one day

Glasgow, UK
2 posts
Save Topic
Tokyo for one day

I am flying to and from Tokyo (Narita) on 19th (arriving 11.00) and 28th (departing 13.30) August respectively , to attend a conference in Kobe 20-26 Ausust.

I will be accompanied by my 7 year old daughter and my 70 year old mother (also some luggage). My plan is to take the bullet train to Kobe on the 19th and then return to Tokyo on the 27th either

by train or by a domestic flight.

I would appreciate any advice on:

i) If I buy a return rail ticket (JR pass is either 7/14 days so no good for me), what is the discount, 10% or 20%, and where to buy it, also form Airport to Tokyo station to get the NEX or the Limosine bus?

ii) Where to stay in Tokyo for one night (would quite like to experience a Ryokan)?

iii) What are the must see places in Tokyo that can be done in half a day and an evening? I thought of the the aquarium or the dolls museum?

Bearing in mind, while in Kobe, my mother and daughter would have visited some temples, shrines, castles and museums etc as part of the accompanying persons programme organised by the conference.

This will be my second visit to Japan - I have been in Japan in 1989 (Tokyo and Nagoya).

Many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Kobe
Kobe
Hyogo Prefecture, Japan
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,409 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tokyo for one day

i) go to www.hyperdia.com (choose English) for train schedule and pricing. 10% discount on return trips over than 600km 1 way (which your trip is JUST under), unless you get the multi-trip pack. Not entirely sure how many you need to buy, only know shops resell these multi-packs individually. There is rail ticket office at the airport. No need for limobus.

Tokyo
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tokyo for one day

ii) Where to stay in Tokyo for one night (would quite like to experience a Ryokan)?

The Kikuya Ryokan is a good option. It is located in Asakusa, within walking distance of Ueno. You could spend your whole day in the Shitamachi (traditional downtown) area without running out of things to do and see. I'm sure there are many posts regarding Asakusa in the forum, so I won't go into details.

http://shigetsu.com/e/index.html

Glasgow, UK
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tokyo for one day

Thank you very much for the advice.

The "multi ticket "- could you give some more info on this please?

Could they be used by more than one person; on Shinkansen (Nozomi) etc?

What I require is two adults , one child to travel, Narita to Tokyo - Kobe return journey which spans over 8 days.

Also do you have any ifo on skymark airline?

Mentioned in this post
Kobe
Kobe
Hyogo Prefecture, Japan
4. Re: Tokyo for one day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, August 15, 2009