We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Evening in Asakusa - please help

Vancouver, Canada
9 posts
Save Topic
Evening in Asakusa - please help

I will be arriving in Narita at 3:20pm and need to travel to my hostel in Asakusa. I'm estimating that I'll be there around 5pm.

For that evening, is there anything to do in Asakusa? Can I still go to Sensoji Temple to perhaps watch the sunset or visit Nakamasi-dori?

The next day, I'm thinking of visiting Ueno Park (cherry blossom season), Sumida Park, and then Odaiba. Will that be too much in a day? Am I missing any other important must-do's in Asakusa?

Please advise. Thank you very much!!

Mentioned in this post
Narita
Narita
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Asakusa
Asakusa
5,157 Reviews
Taito, Japan
Ueno Park
Ueno Park
4,363 Reviews
Taito, Japan
Sumida Park
Sumida Park
207 Reviews
Tokyo, Japan
Odaiba
Odaiba
3,297 Reviews
Minato, Japan
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
57,798 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Evening in Asakusa - please help

The main hall of Sensoji closes at 5pm. Nakamise-dori shops close anywhere between 5 to 7pm.

You might want to visit Tokyo Sky Tree during the first evening instead, and move Sensoji and Nakamise dori to the next morning. Odaiba is worth as much or as little time as you wish. There are some exhibit halls you might find interesting.

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Odaiba
Odaiba
3,297 Reviews
Minato, Japan
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Evening in Asakusa - please help

Visiting the Tokyo Skytree in the evening might be a good idea, if weather is fine (you check up the tower from away whether no clouds bar its observation decks). Asakusa in the evening is basically bars and food time around the temple. Sensoji closes at five, Nakamise Shops will be closed by six or seven, as mentioned by Sammy-san. Nakamise aren't the only shops, though.

Ueno Park should be in the season, but this year could be record breakingly early, as we are experiencing a strange weather (Global warming and smog from the continent?). If you do a tour of Tokyo National Museum in Ueno Park or Edo-Tokyo Museum in Ryogoku (closed on Mondays), I think you might find it tiring to do Odaiba (going to Odaiba by boat is okay, but I think you need to know what you'd want to see there and arrange before you go).

Edited: 6:35 am, March 15, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Tokyo Skytree
Tokyo Skytree
6,474 Reviews
Sumida, Japan
Asakusa
Asakusa
5,157 Reviews
Taito, Japan
Ueno Park
Ueno Park
4,363 Reviews
Taito, Japan
Tokyo National Museum
Tokyo National Museum
1,774 Reviews
Taito, Japan
Edo-Tokyo Museum
Edo-Tokyo Museum
1,735 Reviews
Sumida, Japan
Ryogoku
Ryogoku
153 Reviews
Sumida, Japan
Odaiba
Odaiba
3,297 Reviews
Minato, Japan
Vancouver, Canada
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Evening in Asakusa - please help

Thank you for replying Sammyfloyd and Yobeekool!

I'm planning on visiting either Tokyo City View or Tokyo Metropolitan Government building (Which one is better btw???) so that's why I didn't include Tokyo Skytree... I've also heard that it's expensive and there're long line-ups. Is that true?

So I guess there's not much I can do in Asakusa that evening other than take an evening walk and dinner?

As for Ueno and Sumida Park, I don't plan on visiting the museums, just wanted to enjoy the cherry blossom scenery (I will be there around March 29).

There's so much to do that planning a detailed itinerary is exhausting!

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo Skytree
Tokyo Skytree
6,474 Reviews
Sumida, Japan
Asakusa
Asakusa
5,157 Reviews
Taito, Japan
Ueno
Ueno
1,220 Reviews
Taito, Japan
Sumida Park
Sumida Park
207 Reviews
Tokyo, Japan
4. Re: Evening in Asakusa - please help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 17, 2014