We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Android translation app?

Level Contributor
3,124 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Android translation app?

Is there an android app that can scan Japanese characters then translate to English? It would really be useful for reading signs and menus. I know there's "Talk To Me' app which will translate/talk back in Japanese after you say a phrase in English, and vice versa.

Likely To Sell Out
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,098 Reviews
from $149.10*
Special Offer
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
94 Reviews
from $57.70*
Mt Fuji Day Trip with Lake Ashi...
921 Reviews
from $134.70*
Kyoto Rail Tour by Bullet Train from...
299 Reviews
from $311.70*
Level Contributor
113 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Android translation app?

I have apps - kanji recognizer, wwwjdic, itranslate, translate, talking multi-language, and tourist language on my android phone. Only problem is that you need data service or wifi for it to work. I had purchased Verizon international service for data but it never worked in china or japan for me. Japan cell phones use a different frequency too. Search for some posts here and/or google it for cell phone service in Japan.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Android translation app?

I think this may be what you are looking for;

Uses your phone camera to take images and then searches an offline dictionary for meaning.

Doesn't require the internet as well!

Edited: 5:47 pm, June 16, 2013
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Android translation app?

Columbus, Ohio
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Android translation app?

get the google translator it does that verry well i was using it on a game i have on my tablet and translatin them through my phone its a pritty good appp

5. Re: Android translation app?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 17, 2015