We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

About smoking

Finland
2 posts
Save Topic
About smoking

I am leaving for Tokyo in about a week, and while yes I know it's not a good habit to have I'm a smoker. I read on a few different sites that smoking while walking isn't allowed, and so I was wondering is it okay to smoke anywhere on the street as long as your not walking and don't throw the cigarette butt on the ground (i.e. have portable ashtray)?

Also I read something about smoking areas on the streets, are these hard to find? And what about smoking in bars or restaurants?

Don't really want to be rude or get in trouble for smoking when I finally get to Tokyo, so I thought that the best policy is to just ask. :)

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Han no Daidokoro Kadochika
$$ - $$$, Barbecue, Asian, Korean
Ise Sueyoshi
$$$$, Japanese, Asian
star star
$$ - $$$, Bar, Pub
Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: About smoking

It used to be that smoking was everywhere. Over the past several years there have been campaigns to protect others from second hand smoke so it's harder to find smoking places. One year a hotel lobby was a cloud of smoke when I walked in, and a few months later there were no smoking signs. Many, many hotels are still smoking allowed, with separate floors for non-smoking rooms.

I would say to just step out the door of the building and look for a quiet place to smoke, away from most people. A lot of non smoking signs are obviously a big red circle around a cigarette and a red line through it. If you are told to stop, apologize, be embarrassed, speak your own language, put the cigarette out, bow a lot. If your apartment has a balcony, you might be able to smoke there, depending on the surrounding apartments.

No doubt there will be a nearby restaurant or bar where you can smoke. My experience has been that it is still more difficult to find a non-smoking restaurant than a smoking restaurant.

Wales
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: About smoking

I am a smoker & didn't find it inconvenient not being able to smoke while walking. There are large No Smoking signs on the pavements, but there are plenty of designated smoking areas & they are pretty easy to find. I found that most if not all coffee shops, restaurants etc have a smoking area some even allow smoking anywhere in the establishment. Very civilized because here in the UK there's no smoking except outside.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: About smoking

Most restaurants that are "attached" to a train station, ie Lumine and Takshimaya in Shinjuku, Corty along the Odakyu Line, are all no smoking at all hours of the days. Ramen shops such has Osho or Seiya are no smoking. Other restaurants are often smoke free during lunch hours. They've discovered that they can't get good "turn over" as smoker's stick around afterwards.

Yokohama has made it a law to have either all non-smoking or complete partitions between the 2 sections. But they've had difficulty extending it to establishments that serve liquor. Tokyo is slowly getting there.

Mentioned in this post
Shinjuku
Shinjuku
Tokyo, Japan
Yokohama
Yokohama
Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
14. Re: About smoking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 24, 2014