We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enough time for Hakone and Nikko?

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Malaysia
Level Contributor
129 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Enough time for Hakone and Nikko?

We'll have 6 full days in Tokyo this March. We plan to go for a day trip to Hakone and maybe an overnight trip to Nikko.

Would that be too rushed in the time we have left? The other 4 days would mainly be Odaiba, Shibuya, Tsukiji Market and Ginza. Our hotel is in Asakusa so we will explore that and the Ghibli museum.

Should we do 1 night in Nikko or use the 2 days in Tokyo. It sounds lovely though.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,173 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Enough time for Hakone and Nikko?

Go to Hakone. Go to Nikko. Both will be lovely. You might want to consider doing a day in Kamakura, too!

http://www.kamakuratoday.com/e/

As for Hakone, pick a day that is sunny and clear. If it's cloudy, opt for somewhere else.

Also remember that it's 1C colder for every 100 meters in altitude. March will still be cold for Hakone and Nikko. Wear layers.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
129 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Enough time for Hakone and Nikko?

Thank you and thanks for the reminder on the temperature, i didn't think of that.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,173 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Enough time for Hakone and Nikko?

Check the weather before you come! You can click on "sightseeing" places, too.

http://www.jnto.go.jp/weather/eng/index.php

Nagoya, Japan
Level Contributor
977 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Enough time for Hakone and Nikko?

Happyshirt,

I would make a day trip to Nikko and an overnight trip to Hakone. I prefer staying at an onsen ryokan in Hakone. Nikko is doable in a day or even skipped this time. What would you like to see in Nikko? Any special objects to see?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
125 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Enough time for Hakone and Nikko?

i actually prefer Nikko over Hakone, depends on wat u're interested in, Nikko offers doable day trip with World Heritage temples to see, if u spend a nite in Nikko then u can go further up to see Chuzenji Onsen, Kegon Waterfall, further up there's also Ryuzu Waterfall, Senjougahara & Yumoto Onsen

Hakone on the other hand, provide u picturesque view by different mode of transports but provide better & more choices of onsen ryokan.

Both places deserve a visit if you have time. Do note that Ghibli need to reserve ticket before u go. Inform me if u hav problem on using the loppi for tis

As for 4days in Tokyo, i tink it slightly too long so u might want to consider add in day trip to Kamakura/Enoshima. Hope u enjoy ur trip

Malaysia
Level Contributor
129 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Enough time for Hakone and Nikko?

Thank you for the many inputs. Plan to see the shrines in Nikko and the scenery in Hakone. I think i'll make it a day trip of both.

Hopefully my fren can get her collegue to get the Ghibli museum tickets else i'll take up the offer on how to buy the tickets at the machines.

Thank you.

Nagoya, Japan
Level Contributor
977 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Enough time for Hakone and Nikko?

Happyshirt,

I think you have to reserve the time and day beforehand to enter the Ghibli Museum.

www.ghibli-museum.jp/en/ticket-information/

Anyway, enjoy japan!

8. Re: Enough time for Hakone and Nikko?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 24, 2014