We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Japan expats: What food do you miss most from the US?

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
348 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Japan expats: What food do you miss most from the US?

My 19yo Japanese cousin and his friend are coming to visit us in Ohio in March for 3 weeks.

I am trying to help plan some typical "American" meals, but wanted to know what else I should introduce them to (food-wise)?

Best Seller
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
3,992 reviews
from $156.80*
Best Seller
Mt. Fuji Day Trip Including Lake Ashi...
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
862 reviews
from $66.40*
3-Day Mt Fuji, Kyoto and Nara Rail...
133 reviews
from $585.80*
Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Japan expats: What food do you miss most from the US?

The only two things - pizza and take out Chinese. Those two things just aren't the same here.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
348 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Japan expats: What food do you miss most from the US?

Oh,how hilarious! We can definitely take them. (I do agree- the pizza in Japan just doesn't compare to the pizza here in the US!)

I wish I knew where I could take them. We currently reside in Cincinnati, and I know they want to go outlet shopping, but man- I am totally stumped. Maybe the aquarium?

It is so hard b/c there aren't a lot of things to do until it gets warmer...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Japan expats: What food do you miss most from the US?

You must treat them to Skyline Chili and Greaters - Cincinnati's contribution to the culinary arts. I'm from Cincinnati and understand how difficult it would be to keep visitors entertained for 3 weeks. Maybe a trip to Chicago and an overnight stay in Cleveland for the Rock And Roll HOF to break up the 3 weeks.

tokyo
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Japan expats: What food do you miss most from the US?

Food I miss from the US is good "Mexican" food (ha I know), for obvious reasons, not many in Japan.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Japan expats: What food do you miss most from the US?

Hamburger. Grilled hamburger. Yeah, we can get them at some burger stores but they cost an arm and a leg. And onion rings. A big pile of onion rings!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
286 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Japan expats: What food do you miss most from the US?

I used to crave good lasagne. And I agree with fish2--pizza! Now, what do I miss from Japan? Inarizushi, melon pan (bread), Suntory oolong cha (cold), hiyashi chuka shoba. Other things at various times.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
25,592 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Japan expats: What food do you miss most from the US?

Mexican food and pizza. Most of all though, good quality, decently priced Protein shakes and bars!!

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
Level Contributor
3,079 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Japan expats: What food do you miss most from the US?

Perhaps, they, Japanese youths first time in US, are not sophisticated in American foods, so nothing fancy will suffice, i.e. fast foods like mall food court, BBQ ribs, pulled pork sandwiches, hot dogs, Chipotle burritos & tacos, Panda Express Chinese, Red Lobster, etc. If you are willing, a humongous slab of beef steak(they will never ask again, lol). They will think anything they can get in Japan will be superior, i.e. pizza, hamburger, etc. because they are raised on them and don't know better.

Chances are they will miss Japanese food & a lot of rice quickly.

Albuquerque NM
Level Contributor
111 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Japan expats: What food do you miss most from the US?

Believe it or not, I bet they will like Taco Bell. Many young Japanese people who've been to the US told me how much they liked Taco Bell's food and they said they could get them in Japan.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,283 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Japan expats: What food do you miss most from the US?

I lived in Texas for a long time. In Asia, you will find that good Mexican food is hard. I am not just talking about Tex-Mex style, but even quality tacos just don't exist. 100% beef patty burgers is also lacking. From a Texan perspective, I would love to eat a chicken-fried steak!

Chinese food in Japan isn't the same as the Americanized version. I think the Japanese version tends to add too much sugar.