We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Capsule hotel in Tokyo

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
168 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Capsule hotel in Tokyo

Hi all,

Wanted to know what is it like staying in a capsule hotel? Which ones will you recommend? Also, how much does it cost per night?

Thank you,

j.c.

New York City.

Canada
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Capsule hotel in Tokyo

When are you visiting Japan? And what is your budget?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,691 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Capsule hotel in Tokyo

It's like what you see in pictures available online. You will be surround by other drunken/snoring customers. People stay there because they missed the last train home, after drinking with colleagues all night.

4000 - 5000 per night. This one has English information and located in Shinjuku. http://www.hgpshinjuku.jp/

I would not recommend staying at any capsule hotel.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,307 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Capsule hotel in Tokyo

Main customers of capsule hotels are business men who worked very late or drank with co-workers and missed the last train home. So usually they are located near a railway station near business areas and entertainment districts.

When you enter the entrance, the reception comes into your sight. Just say "I want to stay in a capsule for a night". The typical fee is 3000-4000yen with public bath and breakfast.

Edited: 10:17 pm, February 07, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,519 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Capsule hotel in Tokyo

I can tell you one thing..you won't get the best sleep. You get the joy of listening to other people snore, bump around, make noise, then the shared bathroom. Better to shell out some more yen and just stay in a budget business hotel if you want a reasonable night's sleep at a lower cost.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,545 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Capsule hotel in Tokyo

A single room with free breakfast buffet will cost you as little as 5,980 yen at the Toyoko Inn in Otsuka, or as little as 6,980 yen at the Toyoko Inn in Ikebukuro. You'll get a lot more space, more quiet, and a private bathroom. If you join the Toyoko Inns International Club and stay 10 nights, you'll get a free night.

Tampere, Finland
Level Contributor
144 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Capsule hotel in Tokyo

I stayed one night in "Capsule Inn Shibuya" and it was fun experience. I suggest atleast try it :) the place was clean and not noisy at all.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Capsule hotel in Tokyo

It depends on people next to you and people's tolerance towards noise. I hate it when I stay at a budget hotel like Toyoko or Superhotel and hear the Ojisan next door snoring like thunder.

New wing in Kinshicho, Anshin Oyado in Shimbashi, and Capsule Inn Kamata were quite comfortable, as far as I remember. Sapporo has Nico Capsule Refle and Hotel Avinel that are quite good, too. I wouldn't stay for over one night but I can consider these places when I'm just too tired to find an empty room.

It's not bad to have Jacuzzi bath and cafeteria serving draft beer and snacks open all night long, with mangas and TVs. Japanese gentlemen can find a place of their own when they are shut out from home by angry wives.

Edited: 6:55 am, February 08, 2013
8. Re: Capsule hotel in Tokyo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 10, 2014