We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re Yamanote line timing train.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
209 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Re Yamanote line timing train.

I have been trying to find Yamanote line train timing going to Shinbashi but unable to check from Hyperdia website. Could anyone let me know how to check from Shinjuku station using Yamanote line to Shinbashi . What is the line for Yamanote line?

Thanks

David.

tokyo
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Re Yamanote line timing train.

While not to confuse you, if you want to save on time I personally take the JR Saikyo Line which connects to the Rinkai line directly (usually no transfers for trains bound for ShinKiba) and is a tad cheaper. This train goes direct to Odaiba Island from Shinjuku, stopping at Tokyo Teleport Station on Odaiba Island. You can walk to many of the sights from Tokyo Teleport Station or it's next station.

If you want the scenic route, you could always take the Yurikamome route back from Odaiba to Shimbashi.

Take a look of Odaiba on Googlemaps or on Japan's guide map of the station locations:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3008.html

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,307 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Re Yamanote line timing train.

Simple advice is,

Take Yamanote line to Shimbashi and Yurikamome line to Odaiba if THE VIEW is important.

Take direct Saikyo line to Tokyo Teleport station(in Odaiba island) if SHORT TRAVEL TIME is important.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,729 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Re Yamanote line timing train.

David, I'll admit it sounds complicated. If I didn't know the train system, I'm sure I'd be totally confused! lol

If you're not concerned about an extra 10 minutes, just take the Yamanote line from Shinjuku to Shimbashi. You can see the scenery the whole time and not worry about an extra transfer.

If you want to get to your destination in a shorter time, then perhaps going to Kanda (which is one stop before Tokyo) on the Chuo Line, then transferring to either the Yamanote line or the Keihin Tohoku line (one is on one side of the platform, and the other line is on the other) would be the way to go. Three stops. Both Yamanote and Keihin Tohoku go to Shimbashi. You could then transfer to the Yurikamome. (Nice view all the way.) The Yurikamome is in a different building (across the street) but there are signs everywhere and there are escalators as well as an elevator to get up to the platform.

Did you have any place in mind that you wanted to go on the Odaiba side? There are several stations, each of which is convenient for where you want to go. The latest mall is "Diver City." Looks like malls in Singapore or US, with a tall ceiling and great dining on the top floor. Aquacity Shopping Mall is showing its "age" -- the low ceiling doesn't give it the "WOW" effect. You could get off at Odaiba Kaihin Koen (first stop after you get across the bridge), walk through Decks and Aquacity, take photos of the Rainbow Bridge, then make your way past Fuji TV to Diver City. (It's not on any of the maps yet!)

yurikamome.co.jp/en/…

jnto.go.jp/eng/…odaiba.html

To go back, you could just backtrack a little while to Daiba station. (It's closer.)

But I guess now you're really confused! :-) Have fun, no matter how you choose to get to your destination!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49,784 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Re Yamanote line timing train.

David, you're on holiday. Why stress yourself out by concerning yourself about saving a few minutes in getting from place to place? It's not worth it.

Here's a tip. Plan out your day. Use Hyperdia to figure out how to get from place to place with the least amount of transfers. Don't worry about specific train times.

If you happen to get confused, there's always a train employee at the station with some English speaking skills that can assist you.

Have fun.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,729 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Re Yamanote line timing train.

Addendum to Dave's post:

There are LOTS of trains -- they come every few minutes. If you miss one, the next one will be there by the time you finish humming your favorite song!

:-)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,519 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Re Yamanote line timing train.

Ddavid--you are worrying too much about things. The Yamanote line runs similar to a subway in any major city..trains every few minutes. You could say that about most rail lines in Tokyo, other than some long distance routes.

There's no reason normally to micro-manage each transfer and gate...as others have said, just follow the signs. As with many metropolitan areas there can be mutliple ways to reach the same destination. Often the difference between them is no more than a short while..one route might take 25 minutes, and a second routing might take 5 or 10 minutes more.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,407 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Re Yamanote line timing train.

You apparently are still confused about what JR is. JR is a train company. Within Tokyo (or Greater Tokyo), JR operates various train lines including Chuo Line, Yamanote Line, Narita Express, Shonan-Shinjuku Line, etc, etc, etc, just to name a few. Therefore, Yamanote Line is part of the JR system. Depending on your route, a transfer from Chuo Line to Yamanote Line is fine. What I was advising against was taking JR and then transferring to subway to go from A to B.

Overall, as many others have said already, stop worrying so much about the shortest transfer and the platform locations. You will get the hang of the system in no time. Even if you make a mistake, you typically won't lose more than a few minutes.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
865 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Re Yamanote line timing train.

Hi everyone,

I want to thank all for their replies and advice given to me .

I will be be travelling next week to Tokyo and i will follow all your advice given to me and i hope to enjoy my holiday in Tokyo.

Thanks again,

Best Regards

David.

29. Re: Re Yamanote line timing train.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 09, 2014