We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yes another weather question

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Planet Venus
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Yes another weather question

have already researched about the weather in tokyo for late march / april period. but no site has really provided a concrete answer regarding how cold is 7 to 15 degrees

been to korea where the weather was supposedly 14 degrees but it was warm during the day and it was warm with cool breezes at night

hk is relatively cold at 15 degrees (malls are even colder with the airconditioner on and homes don't usually have centralized heating)

while some recommend a light sweater - would it be enough for people who are more used to a tropical weather?

so how cold is cold at 7/8 to 15 degrees. would this require clothing like in HK i.e. boots, gloves, scarves?

thnks in advance

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,824 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yes another weather question

Everyone's resistance to cold weather is different. People swim in natural lakes and sunbathe in freezing Russia, you know. It's hard to know how hard would it be for you. Bring a more sweater. Gloves and scarves, if you felt cold in Hong Kong. It's better to bring an inner shirt, long sleeve shirt, a cardigan and a thick sweater and wear everything on rather than to catch a cold. A thick coat won't be necessary, probably.

Japan and Tokyo especially is generally cooler than in Hong Kong, and warmer than in Seoul.

Edited: 10:00 am, February 03, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yes another weather question

When we were in tokyo in mid march we thought it was quite cold, comparable to the spring in UK where we are from. So I would imagine it would feel cooler for those from hotter climates.

We wore jeans and a thin coat, our typical spring wear. There always seemed to be wind and alot of rain :( If your going in April maybe it will have improved. We're hoping that when we go back this time in May its warmer.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
5,926 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Yes another weather question

March to April could be considered "cold." Even if the cherry blossoms are out, jackets (coats) would probably be essential. If the sun is out, it will seem warm, but once it goes down, or it's cloudy or rainy, you will definitely be "cold." It probably won't snow, but we've had snowfall on March 21 before, so no promises. It will be a cold rain, if the weather isn't cooperating. There could be the "first winds" of spring (might seem like a real storm), so be prepared.

FYI, my clothing for the dead of winter and for early spring isn't much different.

May WILL be warmer. Good luck, Mega!

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,569 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yes another weather question

If you can get some silk thermal underwear (t-shirt and long johns) to wear under your clothes it can make all the difference to your comfort in weather colder than you are used to. (Try a ski shop or on-line)

Silk adjusts when you move inside or the sun comes out so, unlike with other sorts of thermal wear, you aren't too hot when your surroundings are warm up.

Silk weighs almost nothing so throwing a set or two into your suitcase doesn't take much room or weight.

I take at least one set wherever I go. I found it unexpectedly useful under my linen trousers on a couple of windy evening in Zanzibar!

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
5,926 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Yes another weather question

Zanzibar? How timely! My daughter is leaving tomorrow for a couple of weeks. I'll be sure to tell her to take her Uniqlo Heat Tec (much cheaper than silk)! Thanks for the tip! :-)

Planet Venus
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yes another weather question

thanks everyone.... it's hard to determine what's cold or what's hot based on average temperature forecasts only.

as i mentioned previously the forecast for korea when we were there in late may was 14 degrees however it was warmish weather when we were there

thanks for giving me a clearer and more concrete idea of how cold it can get in tokyo late march / early april period.

7. Re: Yes another weather question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 06, 2014