We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kids Activities

Kiama, Australia
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
180 reviews
Save Topic
Kids Activities

Yes, i know there are topics in FAQ, but we are really looking for a good day out with the kids, no more than 1hr from Shinjuku. Maybe a good theme park (not Disney) or similar. Any suggestions? Kids are 6 and 9.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,542 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kids Activities

WHEN are you thinking about?

You could go to Studio Ghibli, but it's not a theme park, nor is it a whole day affair.

Nikko Edo Mura has the feeling of the old Edo period, but it's much further than an hour away. www.edowonderland.net/html/en/index.html Make sure they're open when you want to go there as they're doing maintenance work from mid-January. Nikko is COLD!

Here's a list of "theme parks."

jnto.go.jp/eng/…index.html

Sanrio Puroland would be too young for your children. I'm not sure if Kidzania has English guides. And Chiba is further away than an hour, as is FujiQ Highland (lots of roller coaster type rides).

Disney Sea is the only one in the world. And it's next to Disneyland. Commuter distance from Tokyo. That would be your best all day theme park.

nyc
Level Contributor
620 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kids Activities

thought I had read from someone else about certain days at Kidzania being more English-friendly for the international sect.

I'm planning my first trip so I don't know from experience, but I know from my immature mentality that I'd place most of my bets on Odaiba, Even if you don't spend all day in one place, you have several options right there including LEGO Discovery Center, Sega's Joyopolis.

Kiama, Australia
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kids Activities

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. Looks like we might try odaiba and/or kidzania.

We just wanted to avoid Disney (although we are sooooo tempted), because we want to take the kids to LA next year for Disney, and don't want the magic dampened by going to Tokyo Disney (where they won't understand too much, but the surprises will be given away).

Thanks Again all

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,542 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kids Activities

DISNEY SEA is not in LA! It's not anywhere, except in Japan. You can't dampen the magic! Your children are 6 and 9! They will certainly understand. You don't need language at Disney! Besides, Tokyo Disney is wayyyyyyyy better than LA!

Disney Sea is also a park that adults can enjoy. Lots of good shows. Be sure to see BIG BAND and watch Mickey on the drums and tap dance down a bunch of stairs! That's really something.

www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/en/tds/index.html

Treat YOURSELF to a special day, too! :-)

nyc
Level Contributor
620 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kids Activities

so April would be my first time going to Japan so I have never personally seen Tokyo Disney Resort but I follow Disney closely (and have been to both US resorts several times over) and it's the primary reason why I've finally decided to visit Tokyo.

That said, unless there really is a 'next year,' scenario, I'd second at least going to DisneySea. It really doesn't have a comparison anywhere else in the world and is oft credited as being the best themed. Disneyland seems to have a lot in common with other Disneyland parks (especially the one in Anaheim), though it has some differences as well, but from what I do know I think you might be shortchanging your family and might even rue not going to DisneySea when you had the opportunity.

Aside from the fact that the Japanese are very devout to the Disney brand (Disney doesn't even own Tokyo Disney) and there are so many elements you'll get in Japan that you simply can't get at anywhere else (some in Paris, but definitely not in the US). And they're heavy into cuteness (kawaii) so even their souvenirs are unrivaled.

Honestly I'd seriously consider going to both parks if possible. If only for other opportunities like Pooh's Hunny Hunt and Monsters Inc Hide and Go Seek which offer experiences in ways no other park does. But that's just me.

I can't believe it won't enhance the Disneyland/California Adventure experience (where you'll find plenty of visiting Japanese as well and will probably covet all the little Tokyo Disney toys they bring with them).

But that's just me. :)

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
637 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kids Activities

Thought I'd straphang on this thread as am in a Disney quandary too.

Is a twilight session on Wed 3rd in Disneyland Tokyo and a full day in Tokyo Sea on 4th enough for seasoned Disney travellers (WDW and DLRP) to just take it in and maybe get on a couple of rides, see a couple of shows?

My kids are really keen to see Kidzania too, and I can get a slot the following Thursday (the period in between is taken up with the business we're going out to do, and the sightseeing trips laid on by our business hosts). Is it worth it or should we play it by ear and not book? They are 12(DS) and 8(DD).

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,542 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Kids Activities

Happy,

What month are you talking about? April? If so, 4/3 at Disneyland and 4/4 at Disney Sea should be lovely.

If it's May, then it's a national holiday on both dates. Disney will be a zoo!

Here's the kidszania site. Browse around and see what they suggest!

http://www.kidzania.jp/tokyo/en/

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
637 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kids Activities

Yes, next week!

I've had a good look at KZ but it says kids up to 15 and I just wondered if that's realistic.

9. Re: Kids Activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 31, 2014