We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

japan train issue

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
7 posts
Save Topic
japan train issue

hi all,

i am planning to visit tokyo in feb 2013 and got a little confuse whether i should purchase both JR pass and Suica prepaid card together for cost effective.any advice

thanks in advance

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,561 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: japan train issue

NEX & Suica is usually the best package for travellers around Tokyo only. Someone will tell you the best combination of rail passes if you post your full itinerary.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,447 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: japan train issue

Yes, your entire itinerary is necessary to determine what passes are best for you.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
44,917 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: japan train issue

If you only plan to visit Tokyo, a JR pass isn't a good value. Stick to NEX+Suica.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
5,938 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: japan train issue

Where are you planning to go? If you want to go long distance, ie Kyoto and beyond and back, the JR Rail Pass is a good deal. But if you're only staying around Tokyo, you certainly won't want the pass.

http://www.japanrailpass.net/

You can check for train schedules and prices here. Take a look and compare the regular ticket prices vs the Rail Pass.

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

singapore
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: japan train issue

hi guys, it is so good to hear from all of you on your precious advice for a first time visitor like me.

we will be in tokyo on the 7 feb and checking out from the hotel on the 9 feb to yudanaka (checking in on 9 feb till 12 feb and head back to narita airport to catch the 6pm flight) to experience the ski resort and the monkey park,

we will spend our first night (7 feb) at shinsuku and have not plan for our itinerary on the 8 and 9 feb).

would it be better to buy a JR pass?? thanks in advance

singapore
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: japan train issue

hi all,

sorry.

gone missing for a month.... like a ninja.

anyway, my plan is to be in tokyo city from 7 feb to 9 feb ( covering in and around city)

and move on to nagano, yamanouchi to check out the attractions there from 9 to 12 feb then back to narita airport.

any advice on whether i should purchase a Nex & suica/ japan pass/ japan pass east???

thanks so much to all of you on your precious advice and care

louis ang

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
870 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: japan train issue

Note that the train service linking Nagano and Yudanaka is not JR. A JR rail pass will not cover this travel (which is not that expensive compared to the trip from Tokyo to Nagano.

The stations at Nagano are a few hundred metres apart.

If you have time stop off at Obuse for an hour or two.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,561 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: japan train issue

Your main rail trip Tokyo - Nagano costs 7770yen, one way.

JR East pass is 20000yen.

Probably NEX & SUICA in Tokyo and standard ticket to/from Nagano will be the cheapest.

singapore
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: japan train issue

hi ken and nao,

thanks so much.

do call me if you are coming to SIN.cheers

singapore
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: japan train issue

hi all,

just wonder.. does all the train station allow to store your luggage if we are planning to just detour to check zenkoji temple while on our way to yudanaka?