We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tokyo and Kyoto or Just tokyo in 5 days January

CA.
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Tokyo and Kyoto or Just tokyo in 5 days January

Hello everyone.

Is my first time in Japan, I will be there this January and I have a question if I only have 5 days to spend in japan... What would you do spend all 5 days in Tokyo or share the time between tokyo and kyoto? Is in January around 9.

Thank you all for taking the time to post in this thread,

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tokyo and Kyoto or Just tokyo in 5 days January

Which would you like to see, Tokyo (modern) or Kyoto (historic)? I suggest picking one.

You can visit Tokyo for three days, and do day trips to historic sites in Nikko and Kamakura (or Kawagoe, if you like). Airport: Tokyo NRT or HND.

You can also visit Kyoto for four days, and a day trip to Nara and an evening in Dotombori, Osaka. Airport:: Osaka KIX.

It's up to you to decide

CA.
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tokyo and Kyoto or Just tokyo in 5 days January

But what do you think about the winter in Kyoto?

Thank you for taking the time to post in this thread.

CA.
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tokyo and Kyoto or Just tokyo in 5 days January

How is the transportation form Tokyo to Nikko and Kamakura

Thank!!!

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
25,148 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tokyo and Kyoto or Just tokyo in 5 days January

Kyoto in winter is just fine. You can do both as Tokyo to Kyoto is only 2.5 hours apart via the Shinkansen. If you haven't booked your flights yet, you can land at Tokyo and leave from KIX or vice versa, too.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tokyo and Kyoto or Just tokyo in 5 days January

Winter in Kyoto is beautiful. It's not Novosibirsk in which temperature goes down to minus 49 degrees Celsius. It could go down to a minus 3-4, perhaps slightly colder than in Tokyo, but I think you can cope with it with warm clothes (it doesn't make sense to avoid Kyoto for the weather and go to Nikko in the mountains instead).

Consider the Shinkansen e-voucher to get to Kyoto. If you have five days, I think you can spare 2 nights and a half day there. It's 2hr 18min on the Shinkansen Nozomi service. If you are interested in Kyoto, then you should go there.

If you want to stay just in Tokyo, you might take the Tobu Railway train from Asakusa to Nikko then bus to Toshogu and other areas. To Kamakura, by JR Yokosuka Line from Shinagawa or Tokyo.

Edited: 9:23 am, November 17, 2012
Level Contributor
1,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tokyo and Kyoto or Just tokyo in 5 days January

I suggest spending a couple of days in both Tokyo & Kyoto. Tokyo is an amazing city made up of lots of interesting neighbourhoods each with their own unique atmosphere. So if it's your first visit, my advice is completely different from the above. Don't be tempted to fill your days with side trips here and there outside Tokyo, just immerse yourself in Tokyo by riding the Yamanote or subway and visiting different neighbourhoods & enjoying the urban culture.

After a day or two in Tokyo, take an early morning shinkansen ride to Kyoto and spend a night or two there before returning to Tokyo for a final day in the city (if you are departing from NRT.)

Kyoto on the surface is a rather unattractive city but it's full of historical gems on every street. Decide which places you want to visit beforehand. Bus travel, walking & subway can be very time consuming in Kyoto - so limit your destinations to perhaps 3 places or else your memories might consist of Kyoto's bus fumes & traffic congestion rather than magnificent temples & beautiful gardens. Allow time to relax and take in what you are seeing, sit and have some matcha tea while enjoying a garden, have a lovely lunch. Book yourself into a traditional inn. Kyoto's temples can be lovely in Winter if it snows.

Take a thick pair of socks if visiting temples as you will have to take your shoes off & it can be very cold (even with vinyl slippers.)

CA.
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tokyo and Kyoto or Just tokyo in 5 days January

Thanks very useful information...

CA.
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tokyo and Kyoto or Just tokyo in 5 days January

I truly appreciate that you take the time to post in this thread, your opinions are very helpful... I think we are going to spend a couple of days in Kyoto, by the bullet train...

If you have any special recommendation of dont miss in kyoto let me know.

Thanks again.

:)

9. Re: Tokyo and Kyoto or Just tokyo in 5 days January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:40 am, November 03, 2013
CA.
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tokyo and Kyoto or Just tokyo in 5 days January

Thank you very much for a very nice list.