We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest Bullet Train Ride

Kuala Lumpur
4 posts
Save Topic
Cheapest Bullet Train Ride

I will be visiting Tokyo from 2 Dec 2012 until 9 Dec 2012 with my family members of 8 people. Apart from seightseeing, shopping in Tokyo, day outing at Disneyland, I would to experience the bullet train ride in Japan. Can anyone suggest me the very minimiun cost to experience the ride.

Mentioned in this post
Countryside Day Tour
Mountains, Bus Tours, Private Tours, Shopping Tours
Rikashitsu
Gift & Specialty Shops
Sano Miso Kameido Honten
Gift & Specialty Shops
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,787 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest Bullet Train Ride

Tokyo - Ueno. Only 7 mins even by non-Shinkansen.

www.hyperdia.com/cgi/en/search.html…

tokyo
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest Bullet Train Ride

Save your money, riding in the bullet train really is no different from sitting inside an airplane, except you have extra leg room in economy.

There's no real sensation of speed, other than looking out the window, however, the cheapest fare tickets, the trains will not be traveling at full speed.

You pretty much get the same experience taking a non-bullet train like the Narita Express or Keisei Skyliner from the airport into Tokyo.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,462 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest Bullet Train Ride

Taking a 7 minute Shinkansen ride between Tokyo and Ueno. Yes, it would be cheap at Y990 (non reserved seat) for a 7 minute ride, but it just goes at a normal commuter type speed. The shinkansen don't get up to speed until you get further away from Tokyo.

Pretty sure they would give you a weird look for trying to buy a 3.6 km shinkansen ride

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest Bullet Train Ride

Going from Tokyo-Ueno; Ueno-Omiya; Tokyo-Shinagawa or Shinagawa-Yokohama can't be recommended, as the speed can be as slow as normal trains. Taking Tokyo-Ustunomiya to get to Nikko, Tokyo-Odawara to get to Hakone, Tokyo-Karuizawa for the highlands, Tokyo-Gala Yuzawa (for skiing) by a ski package is okay, as it involves a bit of relatively high-speed section.

Otherwise, you might get a "entry ticket" for the Shinkansen platforms to see various train sets. You can enter the cars and sit down at the non-reserved section, until the moment of departure to see what it's like.

Yes, they are just fast trains.

Edited: 10:34 pm, October 06, 2012
tokyo
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest Bullet Train Ride

They are actually "platform" tickets (入場券), which allow you into the Shinkansen train areas if you wanted to bid someone farewell/meet someone, or just want to watch trains. You can't get on the trains but you can see a Shinkansen upclose if you wanted to. They usually cost the same as one regular basefare ticket (about 130-160yen).

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,807 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheapest Bullet Train Ride

I think they are more spectacular from the outside, particularly when speeding past you (maybe when standing on a platform somewhere).

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,290 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheapest Bullet Train Ride

I think that the Shinkansen sums up the essence of Japan, top quality engineering giving almost silent and completely stable transport with almost zero sensation of speed at close to 200mph, running to the minute. Trains are immaculately clean and comfortable and staff charming and helpful. If you can afford it the trip on the Hikari to Shizuoka is worth the money, not least because you can see the Nozomi coming through at maximum speed. If you can't afford the fare it is an education just to see the cleaning of the train at Tokyo station. The Narita Express, by the way, averages 36 mph and is nothing like the Shinkansen.

Mentioned in this post
Kuala Lumpur
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheapest Bullet Train Ride

Thank you so much for the information.

9. Re: Cheapest Bullet Train Ride

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, December 14, 2013