We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hair Salon in Tokyo

Paradise, California
Level Contributor
25 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Hair Salon in Tokyo

I am going to Tokyo in a few weeks and I really want to have a hair cut there! I love Japanese fashion and style and I really want to try. I was in Tokyo 2 years ago and saw tons of hair salon close by Takeshita Dori in Harajuku. I have some questions

1) Anyone has recommendations of a hair salon?

2) Do you need to book an appointment in advance? Or can you just walk in?

3) How much does it cost usually for hair cut?

4) Do they take credit card? Do you need to tip?

5) I know limited Japanese. Would communication be a problem?

I saw some posts in this forum but they are from couple years back so I want some udpated info

Thanks!

Lynchburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hair Salon in Tokyo

You may be interested in this question asked in January tripadvisor.com/…38387711

The link sunnypages.jp/search/… will give you a listing of hair salons in Tokyo that have english speaking staff. Each listing may tell you if they accept credit cards or have a website.

In response to that other question, snowBoardBunny had good things to say about Sin Den and Watanabe.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
24,914 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hair Salon in Tokyo

2) If you want to go to a decent salon, you definitely need to make a reservation. Only inexpensive salons accept walk ins.

3) It can cost anywhere between $20-200+USD.

4) Depends on the salon. Safer to have cash. No tips!

5) Again, depends on the hairdresser. It's safer to go to a salon that caters to many expats. Taking pictures is always a good idea.

Look through Japanese groupons. You'll see lots of salon coupons.

Paradise, California
Level Contributor
25 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hair Salon in Tokyo

is there any reputable salons in tokyo that's mid-range price? thanks

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
24,914 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hair Salon in Tokyo

Most of my English speaking friends go to this one:

http://www.goldsalontokyo.com/

Burbank, CA
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hair Salon in Tokyo

I was in Tokyo last week and decided to get a haircut at the salon that was 3 doors down from the vacation rental where I stayed near Shin-Okachimachi station. Here's their website: http:www.proudhair.com.

They have three salons, and the one I went to was the Proud Honten (main branch). I just walked in and a stylist was available. It was 4500 yen (wash, cut, blow dry, flat iron). They happened to be having a "campaign" for new customers so I got a 50% discount. I got my daughter to get her hair cut too at half price one hour later.

As far as price goes, 4500 yen was not the low end, maybe more in the middle. In Kichijoji, there was a street full of hair salons and they were advertising haircuts for 6000-7000 yen.

I can speak Japanese, but if you don't, it'd be better to draw a picture or bring a photo of how you want your hair cut. I got a haircut in Paris too. Though I know some French, I brought a picture of two possible styles. In both cases, the haircut came out great, and it was an enriching experience. I highly recommend it!

Edited: 11:39 pm, March 21, 2012
Tokyo, Japan
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Hair Salon in Tokyo

This website has a lot of hair dressers listed - and all of them can speak English - …angloinfo.com/af/14/tokyo-hairdressers-and-…

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,664 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hair Salon in Tokyo

I have friends who go to Sin Den in Harajuku and love it.

…metropolis.co.jp/tokyofeaturestoriesarchive…

Tokyo
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Hair Salon in Tokyo

you should try "assort". it's near harajuku

http://www.assort-hair.com/

midwest
Level Contributor
1 post
231 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hair Salon in Tokyo

I just came back from Tokyo and had a wonderful hair experience. I have curly hair and wanted a good shampoo, blowdry and straightening that would withstand the July heat and humidity. I went to a place called Sin Den and saw Fabio. He was amazing. This salon is very experienced with European hair. English and Japanese are spoken at the salon. I can't thank Fabio enough for giving me beautiful hair during a Tokyo heat wave with temperatures about 99 degrees farenheit every day with high humidity. My curly hair stayed straight! They prefer a scheduled appointment. I found it very easy to schedule via email while I was in the states. Excellent hair styles and customer service!

Sin Den: A Wickedly Good Hair Salon in Tokyo

3-9-3 Jingumae, Shibuya-ku,

Tokyo 150-0001

TEL: 03-3405-4409

FAX: 03-3405-4408

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,664 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hair Salon in Tokyo

Most of my gaijin (foreign) girlfriends go to Sin Den. They've obviously done a good job in marketing! LOL There are many less expensive places, but it's all about location, location, location! Of course, being Japan, there's no tipping!