We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sending Luggage ahead in Japan

Brisbane
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Sending Luggage ahead in Japan

I have read replies on travelling with luggage on Japanese trains and the advice to send luggage ahead. Most relates to sending luggage from one hotel to another. Can you also send from a residential address to another residential address? We will be staying with several families during our trip and would like to travel luggage free on the trains.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,367 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sending Luggage ahead in Japan

There is a complete industry in Japan doing this and your friends living here (presumed by having residentail addresses) should know all about Takobin (spelling ?). It is very effecient and 7 day delivery/pick up.

tel aviv
Level Contributor
27 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sending Luggage ahead in Japan

Could you give me a website of these couriers? and do they transfer the luggage from one hotel to another on the same day?

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sending Luggage ahead in Japan

I can't find a web site but you can try a search. One name for the service is Takyubin. Their logo is a yellow cat. Really, your relatives in Japan will know exactly how to deal with this issue, likely they will take you to the local store that handles pick ups and have it shipped to your next location. It's fast and totally dependable. Don't worry about finding it until you get there! You should probably expect to spend about 2,000 to 3,000 yen at the most per bag.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sending Luggage ahead in Japan

Thank you all for your replies. We are Aussies on our first visit to Japan staying with Japanese families. We had not heard of the luggage forwarding until we started reading these extremely helpful travel forums.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
341 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sending Luggage ahead in Japan

I have taken advantage of the baggage delivery service several times when I visited Japan.

I have used it after arriving at Narita Airport - narita-airport.jp/en/…svc_05_t2.html

and sent my luggage to Kyoto one time and another time to Nagano.

When I returned from Kyoto to Tokyo, I had the baggage delivered from my host family there to another in Tokyo as well.

Takkyubin was the service I used - unfortunately it doesn't seem to have an English website:

kuronekoyamato.co.jp/takkyubin/takkyu.html

No worries, the family you're staying with should be able to help you.

Enjoy your trip!

sr82 silicon valley usa

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,249 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sending Luggage ahead in Japan

Rosella, You are about to experience a level of service about a thousand percent better than anywhere else in the world. Everyone in Japan uses the luggage service and your Japanese contacts will be able to arrange without any difficulty.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sending Luggage ahead in Japan

I think 1000% better may be understating this service. I don't even know if a service of this type is available in any other country of the world at this price and this level of service. Takkyubin is ubiquitous, for one thing. Every hotel, convenience store, department store, etc. has takkyubin service. You don't need to go looking for a UPS or FedEx counter, either. They pickup anywhere in Japan and deliver anywhere in Japan. They handle large suitcases without charging outrageous fees. Their service and reliability is absolutely the best.

>>>Rosella, You are about to experience a level of service about a thousand percent better than anywhere else in the world. Everyone in Japan uses the luggage service and your Japanese contacts will be able to arrange without any difficulty.<<<