We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather in tokyo?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
weather in tokyo?

I will be visiting Tokyo and Kyoto next week (March 18-26) and was wondering what the weather is like this time of year so I know what kind of clothes to bring? Thanks!

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather in tokyo?

We're having a cold wave at the moment (snowing down here in usually moderate Okayama Prefecture!) but that should blow over in a few days, I hope. It can be pretty windy, which increases the chill factor, so I recommend you wear layers you can peel off when you need to. Restaurants and department stores are heated till they're tropical so if you don't feel like sweating, then the layers are they best way to go. Fairly warm coat plus sweater or fleece plus long-sleeved shirt.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather in tokyo?

Very good advice. Public transportation (rail and bus) are also steaming hot during the winter, especially rail cars where those radiant heaters are under the seats. You can burn the back of your calves sometimes, it's set so hot.

<<<Restaurants and department stores are heated till they're tropical so if you don't feel like sweating, then the layers are they best way to go. Fairly warm coat plus sweater or fleece plus long-sleeved shirt.>>>

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather in tokyo?

Hi

You can check weather stats on www.weatherbase.com. Check the weather forecast for the next days on e.g. www.cnn.com :-) My wife and I went to Japan last year in May and we had a great time there. It was quite different compared to Norway :-)

Regards

Gard

gardkarlsen@hotmail.com

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,369 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather in tokyo?

Look at yahoo weather for Tokyo.......we live here and use it everyday for the weather. it's accurate and the forecasts are very reliable.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather in tokyo?

Also, www.weather.com (input "tokyo" for the city) reports similar information.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
341 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weather in tokyo?

For weather forecast - http://weather.yahoo.com is surprisingly accurate. Check before you leave - and also look at the extended 6-10 day forecast.

Bring a travel umbrella and/or a light raincoat. Sweather is a good idea. Most importantly, a pair of comfortable walking shoes.

I suppose for someone from Chicago, Tokyo winter is not a big deal :)

Have a great trip!

sr82 silicon valley usa