We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay and what to do?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
17 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay and what to do?

My husband and 20 yr. old son will be in Tokyo at the end of this month. Where should they stay and what should they do? They would like to visit a shrine and are intrested in electronics and pop culture stuff. They are coming from Guam so they won't have jet lag. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,466 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: where to stay and what to do?

As mentioned the Keio Plaza has a very nice location, IMHO, because the surrounding is quiet and spaced out, and yet only 5 minutes to the centre of action, including Narita Express.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
17 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: where to stay and what to do?

It is my understanding that the room is 30 sm? It has two twins or a queen and I will call to make sure the two twins are available. Here is a description of their package.

Daily Breakfast-Fruit Basket Upon Arrival Free Use Of Fitness Rm And Hi Speed Internet

Room Type: Exec Superior Queen or 2 Twins South Tower State of the Art Interior Large Writing Desk Spacious Rm 30Sqm Full Club Flr Benefits.Does this seem like a good rate for $187.00?

I guess you are all right about the location and it's proximity to transportation. It is very hard to tell how far things are from one another on all of the maps I have seen.

I have another question about the subway/trains? What type of ticket and/or pass would you suggest they purchase?

I know they want to go to Roppongi,Harajuku and Akihabara. They would also like to visit a shrine. Do you have any information on Sunrise tours? Thank you all for the amount of input you have given me.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: where to stay and what to do?

30 sq meters is over 300 sq ft. That's a nice sized room. If the breakfast is Japanese and both of them don't mind eating a Japanese breakfast of miso soup, broiled fish, rice and some nice garnishes, it's a nice deal.

<<<It is my understanding that the room is 30 sm? It has two twins or a queen and I will call to make sure the two twins are available. Here is a description of their package.

Daily Breakfast-Fruit Basket Upon Arrival Free Use Of Fitness Rm And Hi Speed Internet>>>

This rate is very fair if it includes breakfast, use of fitness room and a superior room.

<<<Room Type: Exec Superior Queen or 2 Twins South Tower State of the Art Interior Large Writing Desk Spacious Rm 30Sqm Full Club Flr Benefits.Does this seem like a good rate for $187.00>>>

As the crow flies, it's about 300 meters from the hotel to the station. That's 5-6 minutes walking. The walk is pleasant, through a clean area akin to any financial district of any major city.

<<<I guess you are all right about the location and it's proximity to transportation. It is very hard to tell how far things are from one another on all of the maps I have seen.>>>

They can purchase minimum price tickets at each station entrance and then addfare at the exit. One good pass option is the "Tokyo Free Ticket" and here is the description:

www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/tokyo_furii.html

…tokyo.jp/util/english/subway/1_3.html

JR and the subway sells the Tokyo Free Ticket.

If they are going to be getting on an off a lot of transit, including buses and even the monorail if so inclined, this is a good deal.

<<<I have another question about the subway/trains? What type of ticket and/or pass would you suggest they purchase?>>>

They probably should use the Yamanote Loop to get to Akihabara (to reduce any chance of getting lost). Harajuku is 4 minutes south of Shinjuku via Yamanote Line. Roppongi station is about 8 minutes via Toei Oedo subway line.

The hotel concierge can assist on the details of this.

This is one of my favorite free subway maps:

tokyometro.jp/rosen/rosenzu/pdf/rosen_eng.pdf

One useful tip is in central Tokyo, all stations are roughly 2 minutes apart. The Yamanote Loop is 29 stations and takes almost exactly 59 minutes to circumnavigate. If you go point-to-point on any subway and count 2 minutes per station, you will not be off more than + or - 1 minute.

<<<I know they want to go to Roppongi,Harajuku and Akihabara. They would also like to visit a shrine. Do you have any information on Sunrise tours? Thank you all for the amount of input you have given me. >>>

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
179 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: where to stay and what to do?

btworld-

For the latest food recommendations and what's hot food-wise in tokyo, check out Tokyo Food Page at:

www.bento.com

<<or>>

For food and other goings-on (events) in tokyo:

http://metropolis.japantoday.com/default.asp

A restaurant called "Gompachi" located in Nishi-azabu (downtown Tokyo) is very very VERY popular with visitors to Tokyo. Consider it foreigner friendly Japanese fare (especially for your 20yr old son). Menu is in English, clientele is Western and Asian mixed, and the atmosphere is very festive too. You can find details on the Global Dining website.

Best of luck!

-zen

New York
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: where to stay and what to do?

btworld,

>>> I know they want to go to Roppongi,Harajuku and Akihabara. They would also like to visit a shrine. Do you have any information on Sunrise tours? <<<

Keio Plaza Hotel is just a few minutes from Tocho-mae Station. So, they can take Toei-Oedo Line (subway) from Tocho-mae Station to Roppongi, which takes about 10 minutes. They don’t need to join Sunrise tours because it’s pretty easy to visit any sights in Tokyo by train/subway. (I also think Sunrise tours are pricey!) For instance, they can visit Meiji Jingu Shrine, which is located just outside of Harajuku Station. If they go to Akihabara, they may want to visit Sensoji Temple (and Nakamise shopping street) in Asakusa as well. Please take a look at the following sites, if you haven’t.

Re Meiji Jingu in Harajuku -- http://www.meijijingu.or.jp/english/

Re Sensoji in Asakusa -- http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3001.html

Also,

Re Shinjuku Nightlife -- virtualtourist.com/travel/Asia/Japan/Tokyo_t…

Re Roppongi Nightlife -- virtualtourist.com/travel/Asia/Japan/Tokyo_t…

Re Roppongi Hills -- http://www.roppongihills.com/en/

Additionally, don’t forget to visit TMG’s observation decks.

www.metro.tokyo.jp/ENGLISH/TMG/observat.htm

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
17 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: where to stay and what to do?

Wow! Thanks to everyone for all of the input. My husband is currently working in Guam and survived the first half of his trip. He left Phoenix on Friday morning and touched down in Guam at 1:30 am on Sunday. He used a product called "no jet lag" and it worked great for him. As I suspected he did change hotels. He and my son will be staying at the Park Hotel while in Tokyo. If anyone has any other good advice I am sure he would appreciate it. One other thing we downloaded skype and have been using it to call one another. I have to say it is awesome and very clear. Thanks again.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: where to stay and what to do?

btworld:

Is that the Park Hotel in Shiodome? From Shimbashi Station they can get to anywhere in the Tokyo area quite easily. Akihabara is just to the north, Shibuya and Shinjuku are around on the opposite side of the loop.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
17 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: where to stay and what to do?

Yes, it is the Park Hotel at Shiodome. I made them the reservation. I thought it was odd that they did not require a credit card to confirm the reservation. Is that normal? Is there something else that I should do to assure that they have a room when they arrive?

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: where to stay and what to do?

It's normal not to require a credit card in Japan. They trust you. I've never given a Japanese hotel a credit card for late arrival, even though I offered it.