We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay and what to do?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
17 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay and what to do?

My husband and 20 yr. old son will be in Tokyo at the end of this month. Where should they stay and what should they do? They would like to visit a shrine and are intrested in electronics and pop culture stuff. They are coming from Guam so they won't have jet lag. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Arctic Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay and what to do?

We stayed @ the Prince Hotel in Tokyo and were impressed by the room size also if your son loves electronics take the him to the Sony building downtown we spent 3 hours there all the newest electronics and a store to buy them if you want.. Have fun in Tokyo...

Safe Travels ....Jimmy

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay and what to do?

btworld:

What's their budget? Is it just the two of them?

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay and what to do?

Hi

My wife and I went to Japan in May last year. We stayed at the New Otani Hotel...the hotel was too expensive but the location was good. So if you can find another hotel in the Akasaka district you should be fine. From here you can reach Ginza, Shinjuku, Shibuya within few minutes on the metro :-)

Regards

Gard

gardkarlsen@hotmail.com

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
17 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay and what to do?

Yes, there are only two of them. This is their first trip out of the country. I hate for them to blow their budget on lodging. They are prepared to pay no more than $200.00 per night. Location would be a factor as they are techies and don't like to venture too far. Also, should they get an electronic currency converter?

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay and what to do?

Your son and/or husband are not military or retired military by any chance? If so, the New Sanno Hotel is the best deal in Tokyo.

What dates are they going to be there? People here can check availability and then assess what's appropriate for their travel goals.

No more than $200/night is a very generous budget. There should be plenty of options well below that once the dates are confirmed.

Central Tokyo is serviced by a train line called the Yamanote that loops the center and is serviced by a mesh of subways and a series of lines heading in every direction.

I would recommend getting a copy of the Tokyo City Atlas (amazon, buy.com, bn.com, etc.). That resource is invaluable.

>>>Yes, there are only two of them. This is their first trip out of the country. I hate for them to blow their budget on lodging. They are prepared to pay no more than $200.00 per night. Location would be a factor as they are techies and don't like to venture too far. Also, should they get an electronic currency converter?<<<

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
17 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay and what to do?

No, they are not military. My husband is a business traveler so he has certain standards. If it were up to my son they would stay at a tube hotel:) They will be in Tokyo February 24th-27th. Their flight arrives around 7pm. I have been looking at the Park Hotel, but have concerns about location. I also was interested in the Oakwood Apartments in Roppongi Central? I know there must be some comparable hotels that are not as popular. Thanks for all the input so far.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay and what to do?

The Park is OK. The problem they have is they are staying over a weekend on short notice so Saturday is tough to book.

One suggestion on short notice like this is the Shinagawa Prince. I checked on yahoo travel and they have rooms starting at $118. I don't know the details but this is a very good rate for the executive and new tower (do not under any circumstances stay in the old tower) for a 2-single room. yahoo lists the size of the rooms as 20+ sq meters. The old tower rooms about about 12 sq meters.

The hotel is across the street from Shinagawa Station. It's at the south end of the Yamanote Loop and convenient to many places, including Akihabara, the electronics town.

New York
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay and what to do?

btworld,

>>> I have been looking at the Park Hotel, but have concerns about location. <<<

If you are talking about the Park Hotel in Shiodome, you shouldn’t worry about the location. The hotel is very new and modern, and Shiodome is very convenient for sightseeing. Please read Traveljunkie2005’s great trip report as he recently stayed at the Park Hotel.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298184-i861-k4259…

and, other TA user reviews, if you haven’t, at

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g1066451-d30…

>>> They are prepared to pay no more than $200.00 per night. Location would be a factor as they are techies and don't like to venture too far. <<<

Have you checked out “Keio Plaza Hotel” in Shinjuku? It seems they still have rooms from 2/24-2/27, starting at 19,500yen with breakfast. If it sounds interesting, please go to

http://www.keioplaza.com/index.html

According to Rakuten Travel (http://travel.rakuten.co.jp/en/index.html), Hotel IBIS in Roppongi has a standard city view twin room (smoking) at 17,850yen. You can find IBIS’ info at

http://www.ibis-hotel.com/en.html

The Oakwood Apartments in Roppongi Central is nice, but I don’t know whether they have rooms left. Please take a look at

oakwood.com/serviced-apartments/furnished/JP…

I personally like the Park Hotel the most because the hotel is very new and modern. However, if your son wants to enjoy nightlife in Shinjuku or Roppongi, Keio Plaza, the Oakwood Apartments in Roppongi Central or IBIS Roppongi will be more convenient. As he is 20yr old, he can regally drink alcohol in Japan! :-)

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
17 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay and what to do?

Thanks for all the input. I made a reservation at the Keio Plaza Hotel for them. I am not sure if they will keep it becuase they are not real happy about the location. I think it is a great deal which included breakfast. Anyway, I wondered if you could offer some suggestions about good places to eat?

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to stay and what to do?

btworld:

What was it they don't like about the location of the Keio Plaza? The distance from the station or the distance from destinations?

As far as full-service hotels go, the Keio Plaza is big, a little old and getting a little long in the tooth. It's still an excellent hotel by US standards, it's just not up there with the top full service hotels in Japan. When you're there in the lobby, you could imagine you're in any major city in the world in terms of the surroundings, it's quite vast and impressive. I believe your husband would approve and your son might think it's a waste of money.

The location is on the west side of Shinjuku Station and is in a peaceful, quiet business district. All of the "action" is on the other side of the station. It's less than 5 minutes walking to the station. There are a number of Yodobashi Camera buildings and a Sakuraya Camera between the hotel and the station. These are not your normal camera stores, either. They sell everything that plugs into an outlet or uses batteries plus luggage, software, toys, etc. See www.yodobashi.com to get a feel for what they sell, even though the website is in Japanese.

Shinjuku Station is served by five major JR lines (Chuo/Sobu, Yamanote, Saikyo, Shonan Shinjuku, NEX) plus two major private lines (Keio and Odakyu) plus three subways in the vicinity. It's on the far west side of the Yamanote Loop and about 30 minutes to Akihabara via the Sobu Line. The three subway lines can take you to various areas of the inner loop and the Yamanote Line will take you to the 28 other stations on the loop.

As for pop culture, especially on the weekend, just south of Shinjuku are Harajuku and Shibuya and just north is Ikebukuro. All are good places to people watch and hang out.

I will be in Shinjuku on the Monday after next and can scout anything they might have concerns about that I or someone else here can't answer.

If it's the distance from the station or other place, let the people on the board here know.

The Shinagawa Prince is right across the steet from Shinagawa Station on the south end of the loop and I think it was considerably less expensive than the Keio Plaza with a comparable level of service and accomodations.

When you booked the room at the Keio Plaza, did they tell you the size of the room (in sq meters, figure about 10 sq feet per sq meter)? That's very significant in Japan since many hotels have small rooms which some westerners find confining and claustrophobic. The rooms that I've stayed in at the Keio Plaza were large but those were booked by someone else and I have no idea if they were the normal or deluxe rooms.

Also, be sure they are booked into rooms with twins or two singles and not into one double. The double beds in Japan are not that large and I doubt a father and grown son would want to sleep together in one of them.