We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When does it snow in Tokyo ?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
120 posts
2 reviews
When does it snow in Tokyo ?

We're planning our first trip to Tokyo and Osaka later in the year towards Nov / Dec.

As we are from a tropical country, it is a novelty for us to see snow.

May I please ask when does it start snowing in Tokyo and Osaka ?

Thank you

Kobe, Japan
12 posts
1. Re: When does it snow in Tokyo ?

Hello,

you might be disappointed, but doesn't snow that much, especially in Osaka. This year, we had only two or three days, when it snowed. And this is already quite much. The snow didn't last long and was not enough to play around.

Tokyo isn't much better as far as I know. If it snows it doesn't last long. If you go a little bit outside of Osaka (northern part), you might catch a bit snow, for example in Kyoto and surroundings. But even then you might be a bit disappointed.

When does it snow in Osaka/Tokyo... it's difficult to say... in the end of December or in January/February are the best chances to catch some snowflakes.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
102 reviews
2. Re: When does it snow in Tokyo ?

Sorry, you are unlikely to find snow in Tokyo and most areas east of the Japan Alps at anytime. It does occasionally snow in Tokyo, but rare (once/twice year) and melts quickly.

All is not lost, however. A short train ride away, using the Shinkansen, you can arrive in the winter wonderland of Yuzawa, which even features a seasonal rail station adjacent to the ski slopes.

You can find heavy snow west of the Japan Alps on the Sea of Japan side and Hokkaido. November may be a little early, but certainly December is ok.

snowjapan.com is a very comprehensive web site on everything snow in Japan.

Edited: 1:25 am, March 10, 2011
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
120 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: When does it snow in Tokyo ?

Thank you JapaneseGuestHouse and Yamanote !

Yuzawa sounds like a lovely suggestion. Do you know if I may get lucky and see some snow and maybe even take a few lessons end Nov ?

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,903 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: When does it snow in Tokyo ?

That may be unlikely, the ski areas didn't open until into December this year.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
120 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: When does it snow in Tokyo ?

Thank you, blutek

Looks like I should schedule later dates.

Cheers !

Singapore, Singapore
1 post
2 reviews
6. Re: When does it snow in Tokyo ?

It does not really snow at Tokyo.Maybe in some parts for example the central city.You can find snow at Shinagawa.I use to live in Shinagawa it snows there!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
62,279 posts
171 reviews
7. Re: When does it snow in Tokyo ?

Tokyo does snow, but accumulation and heavy snowfall is very very rare. Chances of that happening at Osaka is probably none.

8. Re: When does it snow in Tokyo ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:25 am, February 17, 2013