We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advices on travel itinerary for 1st trip to Tokyo

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
158 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Advices on travel itinerary for 1st trip to Tokyo

Hi guys!

I'm planning my maiden trip to Tokyo this Dec. Will appreciate if you guys have any suggestions to improve on my itinerary.

23rd Dec Thurs: Arrive at Narita Airport. Narita Exp to Tokyo Station/Shinkansen to Nagano/Dentetsu Train to Yudanaka/Lodging at Shimaya Ryokan

Nagano: Jigokudani Monkey Park, Shiga Kogen

24th Dec Fri : Nagano: Yudanaka-Onsens, Obuse Town

(Where else to explore in Yudanaka areas or nearby??)

25th Dec Saturday: Yudanaka to Asakusa/ Lodging at Asakusa/ Asakusa Area explore( Sensoji Temple, Nakamise Street, Kappabashi Street)/Shinjuku Explore(Tokyo Metropolitan Govt Office, Shopping Centres, Christmas lightings!)

26th Dec Sunday: Ghibli Museum/Harajuku (meiji shrine, takeshita dori)/Ometosando/Shibuya

27th Dec Monday:Ryogoku Sumo Stadium/Yasukuni Jinja/Ueno Ameyoko Market/Akihabara

28th Dec Tuesday: Tsukiji Market/Ginza/Imperial Palace Garden/Roppongi Hills

29th Dec Wed:Tokyo Disneyland

30th Dec Thurs: Tokyo Disneysea/Kamakura

(Is Tokyo Disneysea worth a visit? I'm considering a 2day pass to Disneyland. If not, will it be difficult to book train tickets to Kamakura at this busy period?)

31st Dec Fri:Meiji Shrine/Hie Jinja/Odaiba Area Explore/Zozoji Temple/Tokyo Tower countdown/go back Sensoji Temple and catch any highlights

Thanks in advance for any advices!

Komaba
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Advices on travel itinerary for 1st trip to Tokyo

Just about Kamakura - you don't need to book tickets - the line that goes there is an ordinary commuter line - so you can't book seats unless you go first class. You should have no problem getting a seat though - at that time of year the trains will probably be very quiet.

You can check out times and routes here (http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/norikae/)

Singapore
Level Contributor
616 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advices on travel itinerary for 1st trip to Tokyo

Tokyo Disneysea is definitely worth a visit. It is the only one in the world.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advices on travel itinerary for 1st trip to Tokyo

Hi Yagiza,

We did a similar trip in 09 Dec. We had a promotional 4 day shinkansen ticket for 10000yen and the cost of the ticket justify more time to be spent in Nagano. We hit Yudanaka, staying one night and then visited Karuizawa on the way back the next day. Wanted to visit Obuse, but was raining when our train reached the town and decided not to. We went back the second day to do Takasaki and Karuizawa again. Very nice trip for us.

The following is a blog of our visit. …wordpress.com/2010/…

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
158 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advices on travel itinerary for 1st trip to Tokyo

thanks all for sharing!i think i will visit tokyo disneysea since is the only one in the world!

to sinsehkansai: it's great that you purchased the promotional 4day shinkansen ticket at 10000yen. Didnt see any promotions for Dec this year unfortunately. hope they come up with one soon. im keen to visit Takasaki Daruma Temple after seeing your blogpost.nice pics!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advices on travel itinerary for 1st trip to Tokyo

Hi,

Check out this website. It does have the flexible 3 day JR Pass for 10000 Yen.

www.jreast.co.jp/e/eastpass_sp/#category02

HTH

AnuSG

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
158 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advices on travel itinerary for 1st trip to Tokyo

hey AnuSG,

Ive checked the website out. Unfortunately, the JR East Pass special is only valid till Nov 30 2010. I'm travelling at end Dec.

That's a pity!

Regardless, thanks lots for the website recommendation.hope they come up with some promotions for year end travel!

7. Re: Advices on travel itinerary for 1st trip to Tokyo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 06, 2011