We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strange, Odd, Weird Things to see and do in Tokyo/Japan

saint john
Level Contributor
121 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Strange, Odd, Weird Things to see and do in Tokyo/Japan

Going to Japan on a whim and just starting to plan the trip. Will be there from may 12-18. planning on going to Tokyo, Kyoto, and maybe Osaka.

We are young students from western countries and want to experience the "eccentric" side of Japan. Please give me suggestion on what to see or do that is weird, strange, taboo, dirty, odd or sexual in japan. we all hear about how different the japanese are, now we want to witness it

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Strange, Odd, Weird Things to see and do in Tokyo/Japan

Stay in a capsule hotel

Walk around Ura Hara and Harajuku, maybe find something weird there

Same at Kabukicho, although you will probably just find trouble.

Same again at Roppongi.

Dont fall into this trap …usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-warden20090710.html

Go the the war museum at Yasukuni Shrine for an alternative view of the war.

Go get a tour of the garbage incinerator at Harumi. Its free and fascinating.

…tokyo23-seisou.lg.jp/koujou/chuo/index.htm

Mentioned in this post
Kabukicho
Kabukicho
1,272 Reviews
Shinjuku, Japan
Roppongi
Roppongi
662 Reviews
Minato, Japan
Yasukuni Shrine
Yasukuni Shrine
1,343 Reviews
Chiyoda, Japan
Tokyo
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Strange, Odd, Weird Things to see and do in Tokyo/Japan

The following thread on another forum may give you some ideas, even though it's a couple of years old.

www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,394 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Strange, Odd, Weird Things to see and do in Tokyo/Japan

Go see some parasites. Not your normal thing:

http://kiseichu.org/english.aspx

Instead of going to a maid cafe, go to a maid haircut and shampoo establishment .

http://www.moesham.com/

PS-nothing "adult" about that facility. For those, you are on your own but you may have a problem getting into those kind of places as they generally are "Japanese only", and they are certainly not interested in tourists.

I guess you could also check out a love hotel.

nihon
Level Contributor
562 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Strange, Odd, Weird Things to see and do in Tokyo/Japan

young students from "western" countries ?

want to see or do that is "weird, strange, taboo, dirty, odd or sexual" in japan?

for example,

images.google.com/images…

you would be able to see a lot of them in tokyo. and, don't forget to look into the mirror there.

Durham
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Strange, Odd, Weird Things to see and do in Tokyo/Japan

There are a couple of shops you should visit - RanKing RanQueen and Don Quihote.

RanKing RanQueen sells some quirky products - mostly cosmetics. I picked up some bath salts supposedly tailored to my blood type. The one I visited was upstairs in the Tokyu shopping area connected to Shibuya station.

Don Quihote appears to be attempting to sell as many things as possible. They have lots of locations. I visited the large one in Akihabara.

Mentioned in this post
Shibuya
Shibuya
Tokyo, Japan
Akihabara
Akihabara
3,634 Reviews
Chiyoda, Japan
Tokyo, SanDiego
Level Contributor
400 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Strange, Odd, Weird Things to see and do in Tokyo/Japan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soapland

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
410 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Strange, Odd, Weird Things to see and do in Tokyo/Japan

Go to the JR Shinjuku Station at around 8 am on a weekday and take the Yamanote line.

Go cross the Shibuya crossing on a weekday evening around 6 pm when raining, hold your umbrella (make sure you hold your umbrella high).

Edited: 7:28 pm, May 03, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Shinjuku
Shinjuku
Tokyo, Japan
Shibuya
Shibuya
Tokyo, Japan
saint john
Level Contributor
121 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Strange, Odd, Weird Things to see and do in Tokyo/Japan

hey guys,

thanks for all the suggestions. are the red light districts actually dangerous or just people over reacting and trying to get people not to go there.

should also mention that though we want to witness strange japan. we are not into hookers and neither of us will be paying for any type of sexual pleasure.

keep up the suggestions though. if you know anything strange outside of tokyo we are interested in that too.

New York
Level Contributor
153 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Strange, Odd, Weird Things to see and do in Tokyo/Japan

If you are interested, visit Manga Kissa (Japanese comic book coffee shop).

You have to pay admission (about JPY100 per hour) to enter. Inside of the manga kissa is like a combination of coffee shop and bookstore. You just sit wherever you want, pick manga and read. You can also order beverages. Some places even serve meals. Many manga kissa are open for 24 hours.

I saw a lot of young couples at manga kissa. They were reading manga without talking each other. I don't want to be rude, but manga kissa is very strange/weird to me.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Strange, Odd, Weird Things to see and do in Tokyo/Japan

If you are planning on drinking or getting into trouble don't take much money with you and do not take any credit cards, either. You must carry passports by law but be sure to have copies in your room and directions on how to get to the embassy for a replacement if you need to. Japan is a very safe country until you enter the underbelly which can be very dangerous as the alert from the US Embassy mentions.

When you are in red light districts keep your head down and your cameras put away. They are perfectly safe to walk around in, just don't be looking for trouble. The principal RLDs are Kabukicho, Ueno 2-chome, Yoshiwara in Tokyo, Horinouchi in Kawasaki and Isezakicho in Yokohama. These RLDs are not limited just to adult services. They have "legitimate" businesses, eating and drinking establishments and "respectable" things there. For instance, Kabukicho is a favorite place for many people to meet at an izakaya after work. Ueno 2-chome has many good restaurants. Yoshiwara is a quiet residential neighborhood as is the western part of Horinouchi in Kawasaki.

Mentioned in this post
Kabukicho
Kabukicho
1,272 Reviews
Shinjuku, Japan
Ueno
Ueno
1,220 Reviews
Taito, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan