We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Tokyo alone?

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Going to Tokyo alone?

Hi everyone. I have seen some very reasonable flights and hotel prices for Tokyo and am very interested in going. The only thing is that I would be going by myself, and I am a little dubious about it. It seems that there are not a lot of bilingual places there, and I speak no Japanese. Has anyone travelled there alone, and is it relatively easy to get around and have a good time without knowing Japanese? Can someone also suggest a fun area to stay in? I am 28 and would like to stay in an area relatively reasonable and close to the good nightlife. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Likely To Sell Out
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,227 Reviews
from $143.90*
Special Offer
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
113 Reviews
from $55.70*
$74.30
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Tokyo alone?

You will have no trouble visiting Tokyo by yourself. Japan is one of the few places in he world where non English speakers can have a problem, but really its ok. Language is part of the adventure.

If you want party and nightlife then stay near Roppongi or Shibuya. There are budget hotels all around Tokyo, not usually lux, but clean and functional.

Lots of bargain hotel rooms in Shinjuku, but not everybody's cup of tea. West Shinjuku is a little too cementy for me.

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Roppongi
Roppongi
667 Reviews
Minato, Japan
Shibuya
Shibuya
Tokyo, Japan
Shinjuku
Shinjuku
Tokyo, Japan
San Francisco
Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Tokyo alone?

Hi, going to Tokyo by yourself is no problem even though you don't speak any Japanese! I just got back from a 2 week trip by myself though I do speak a tiny bit of Japanese. People are generally helpful and friendly. Toughest part might be getting used to the transportation system--but it's super efficient and clean. Shinjuku and Shibuya are 2 areas for a great nightlife, but I've never stayed there so can't recommend a hotel. Good luck on your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Shinjuku
Shinjuku
Tokyo, Japan
Shibuya
Shibuya
Tokyo, Japan
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
58,494 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Tokyo alone?

Transportation is actually quite straightforward once you have a basic understanding of the train and subway lines. If there are multiple lines within the area, always take the route with the minimum transfers and avoid train to subway or subway to train transfers if possible. For planning purpose:

http://www.hyperdia.com

Shinjuku is probably the best area for first-timers as it's a transportation hub in Tokyo and it also has plenty of nightlife and shopping. Where you want to stay also depends on your budget though.

Mentioned in this post
Shinjuku
Shinjuku
Tokyo, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
48 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Tokyo alone?

Tokyo is an amazing city to travel but it is bit expensive....do you able to cope it up??

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
London, England
Level Contributor
417 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Tokyo alone?

I went for 5 nights by myself and loved it! Language isn't a problem. I don't speak any Japanese at all, but signs in the stations are in letters not just symbols, ticket machines have an English option and it's amazing how far you can get by pointing at a map, sign language and smiling, lol! It was a lot easier to get around than I thought it would be.

The experts were great answering my questions before I went, and armed with their suggestions and the Lonely Planet, I had a really great time.

Japanese people are incredibly friendly and helpful and I managed to eat and drink ou by pointing at pictures, models of food etc etc and got by just fine. It's a real adventure and the locals will do all they can to help.

Also as a lone traveller, I found everyone incredibly willing to take photos for me, and even requested I was in a few of theirs with them.

Go for it, sure you'll have a great time.

I stayed in Asakusa in a hostel as wanted to meet other people and it's a bit more social than a hotel, but sure the experst can recommend plenty of hotels.

Enjoy :0)

Mentioned in this post
Asakusa
Asakusa
5,247 Reviews
Taito, Japan
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
53,460 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Tokyo alone?

Some good sites to research - http://metropolis.co.jp/default.asp

www.japan-guide.com

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
58,494 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Tokyo alone?

I actually don't think Tokyo is that expensive. It is definitely much cheaper than NYC, London and Paris. Transport charges are expensive even for short rides. For lodging, you can stay at clean and functional business hotels for 8,000 Yen (just over USD100) and up, certainly much cheaper than the other majors I mentioned above. You can also eat quality food for 3,000 Yen per day, and 5,000 Yen (just over USD50) per day would give you a very nice food experience.

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Earth, Texas
Level Contributor
189 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Tokyo alone?

8000 yen as of today June 19 in U.S $ is $83 not $100. Check http://www.oanda.com/ for currency conversions.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
58,494 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to Tokyo alone?

Oh yea...typo there as it should be just over $80 for 8,000 Yen.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to Tokyo alone?

Hello I am also going to Tokyo alone (first time in Japan) in September. I'm staying at the Shinjuku Sunroute for ten days. I don't speak a word of Japanese but from what I gather, it's very easy to get around.

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Shinjuku
Shinjuku
Tokyo, Japan