We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to meet at shinjuku station?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
233 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
where to meet at shinjuku station?

Hi,

We will be in Tokyo for a holiday this December.

We have booked our stay at the Oakwood Shinjuku which I understand is at the west exit end of Shinjuku station.

My sister and I will be arriving in Tokyo one day before my mom and we will be walking to Shinjuku station to meet her when she gets off the Narita Express the next day.I understand that the station is quite big and the platforms where the NEX train uses is a long distance from the West exit.

Can anyone please advise me where to meet her at the station?

We don't want to lose each other in the crowd. I think she should be arriving at about 11am on a Tuesday morning.

Also, how is the traffic from Shinjuku to Narita Airport on a Tuesday morning at about 5.30am like?

I am thinking of booking private pick up from Shinjuku to Narita airport for our flight at 9.25am and wonder if I should tell the driver to come at 5.30am in the morning.

Thank you!

1. Re: where to meet at shinjuku station?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:13 pm, November 09, 2008
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,249 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to meet at shinjuku station?

Good advice from BR. Shinjuku is vast and very confusing.

I have often used the limousine bus from Akasaka or Shinjuku at around 6.30am and it has never taken much more than one hour to Narita. Traffic is light going out of Tokyo early in the morning.

Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to meet at shinjuku station?

- waiting at the platform requires purchase of a platform ticket (or pay with SUICA)

- private transfer to/from Narita will be about 200USD

Japan
Level Contributor
249 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to meet at shinjuku station?

One thing that will make it easier for you to decide where to meet depends on whether your mother will need help once off the Narita Express, etc.

If she has very little luggage and is pretty mobile and good at directions, then there are specific exits where you can meet such as "West Exit" (not to be confused with "New West" Exit or "South" exit ticket gate. The link is directions from your hotel's website. images.oakwood.com/pdf/OASH_directions.pdf

If she will need help with luggage and isn't mobile or good at directions or gets confused (Shinjuku Station can be intimidating), then the best way would be for you to buy a "platform ticket" (I think 130 yen) that allows you to go up and meet her at the platform. What would make that even better is for her to advise you the Narita Express Train Number and the Car number, that way you'll find each other much easier.

Where to meet, then, should also depend on what you are all comfortable with.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
233 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to meet at shinjuku station?

Thank you all for your replies and advice.

I think I will go with Rapublico's advice and buy a platform ticket to meet my mom.

Thanks for the link with pictures. Will print out and bring along with me.

Also, since private transfers are so expensive, will probably book the 5.45am airport limousine to Narita Airport as traffic shouldn't be too bad so early in the morning?

houston
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: where to meet at shinjuku station?

actually go with his suggestion but when you exit the platform you will not be allowed out. this is JR's way of getting their money. just go to the conductor box near the exit of JR line and say i bought the wrong ticket. this will save you the embrassment of slowing the exiting people and you get your money back. just a suggestion, i lived in tokyo for 7 years.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
233 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to meet at shinjuku station?

Thank you Brent for your tip.

One question, what if I buy ticket from Shinjuku to Okubo station and wait for her at NEX platform then take Sobu Chuo line train to Okubo?

I understand that the walk from Okubo station is shorter to Oakwood as compared to from Shinjuku station. Any idea how long I'm allowed to wait in the station?

Tokyo
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: where to meet at shinjuku station?

Seems I'm too late for this thread, but I'd put a link as to navigation from Shinjuku Station to Oakwood Shinjuku.

…blogspot.com/2008/08/access-to-oakwood-shin…

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
233 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to meet at shinjuku station?

Thank you all for your help. And thank you Optimistk. Have already printed directions on link you've given me.

Japan
Level Contributor
249 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to meet at shinjuku station?

If you go in through Shinjuku station, all you need to do is buy a "Platform Ticket" (called nyujoken in Japanese) for 130 yen. They are sold from the same machines that sell all the tickets. You put it into the ticket gate, take it when it comes out the ticket gate. After meeting your mother, you simply put it through the ticket gate, machine takes ticket, and you go out.

If you want to go from Shinokubo to Okubu, simply buy a ticket at Shinokubo for what it costs. Then use that to exit Okubo. I'm not sure of how much time you get, but I've never heard of people going overtime unless they spend the night in the staition!

If by chance you are getting a rail pass, then simply show it when going in and out, with no need to buy any platform ticket or other.