We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in Tokyo - ideas on what to do?

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bay Area
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
2 weeks in Tokyo - ideas on what to do?

I would love to hear your ideas

- on things to do in Tokyo

- what you have really enjoyed there

- day trips

- other places to visit (is it worth the time, travel, hotel change vs just seeing more in Tokyo)

Last two weeks in November.

1. Re: 2 weeks in Tokyo - ideas on what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:13 pm, November 09, 2008
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,419 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks in Tokyo - ideas on what to do?

With two weeks, you should get out of Tokyo and hit some other areas. You have enough to to hit Nikko (day trip from Tokyo), Hakone and Mt. Fuji (overnight stay at onsen ryokan), Kyoto (2 days), Nara (1 day), Himeji (1 day), Hiroshima/Miyajima (2 days), and then spend the rest in Tokyo. If you plan your itinerary properly by going to Kansai area and Hiroshima/Miyajima and back to Tokyo within 7 days, then a 7-day JR pass will be well worth the money.

For general information, invest in a good guide book. The Japan Guide webiste will also give you good introductions as well:

http://www.japan-guide.com

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
108 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks in Tokyo - ideas on what to do?

My favourite and most memorable experience in Tokyo was going to the Tsukiji fish market very, very early in the morning, and eating super fresh sushi at the restaurants nearby. It is worth allocating plenty of time to see each district as there is just so much to do. Ueno Park was beautiful, Harajuku was amazingly fun, Ginza is stunning, Shibuya is cool and fun..

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks in Tokyo - ideas on what to do?

I defnitely recommend a day trip or even an overnight in Nikko. Great shrines in a nice town at the foot of the Japan Alps. With extra time you can also take the bus ride up the mountain to Kegon falls and a national park area and Chuzenji lake, although at this time of year and through to Feb it could be very cold. ( The bus leaves from the railway station). There's plenty of accommodation there, some good little restaurants. Both Japan Rail and a private railway go there from various points in Tokyo. If going on JR, take the Bullet train to Utsunomiya then change at the station for a local train to Nikko. (About 90 Mins or so all up I think).

houston
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks in Tokyo - ideas on what to do?

hi, i lived in tokyo for seven years and there is so much to see and do in japan. lets see the most famous places in tokyo??? you have to go to shibuya (famous cross walk), kamakura (near yokohoma), tokyo (imperial palace), Tokyo Tower (observation deck), roppongi hills (the best observation deck i have ever been to), Ueno park, Harajuku (watching cos play people), Akihabara (electric town). this would be tokyo. Then you can go to kyoto, that is where all the old temples are. Remember memories of a geshia when she can thru all the tori gates. Geshia girls can be spotted in this area. Then there is Osaka, the osaka castle and the osaka time capsule in the same area. Then there is Hiroshima, the A bomb dome, the famous tori gate in the water (depending on what time you go it can be high are low tide), and the famous temple near it. now food, you have to try sushi, ramen noodles, izakaya (like a bar, but not like a american bar at all), pepperlunch, and sukeyki. you will love japan i loved it and miss it everyday. they are polite and you dont have to worry about getting mugged anywhere in japan. have fun... if you have any questions just reply and i will be more then happy to help

6. Re: 2 weeks in Tokyo - ideas on what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, October 13, 2009